Eating less-worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

Hi there, my dragon is about 9 months old now and the last couple weeks he has been eating much less. I used to be able to feed him 4-6 subadult/adult dubia a day. In trying to keep my colony going I had to switch him crickets temporarily (which he ate) and then back to smaller ones 1/2” or so (what I had- and I dust them) and he might eat 20 and then he isn’t interested anymore. when I was low on decent sized dubias I also gave him more supers than I should have (5-6) for a couple days in a row. So maybe he just rather have those?
Anyway he is eating his greens fine ( gone or mostly gone by end of day - 2/3 cup) but it seems his appetite is not as big as it was for bugs. He will stop eating from the container I give it to him in and will sometimes eat a couple more if offered by hand.
So is he hitting the age where they slow down on bugs or is something wrong with him?? I’d love to hear your feedback. Oh and lighting has not changed. I did switch out tiles on the floor though. He has a 150 w basking light and a 10.0 T5 reptisun tube bulb. I leave no sitting water in the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lighting is good just make sure the T 5 is in the tank 12-15 inches from basking decor - it its on top of the screen it should be a wide hole screen w/ a distance of 8-10 inches --- he may be tired of the dubias but w/ all the super worms he is hooked ---- I would not give him anymore supers so often -- cut them back try the dubias again they are a better staple anyway and see what he does

SunDragon

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
Thank you! I do believe that the supers were part of the problem. I am feeding him later in the day and his appetite has increased. My screen has bigger spacing so my T5 is on top.

Do you have any recommendations for hides for a 40 gal Breeder tank? I have a large Habba hut but he only goes on top of it. I don’t know if there’s a good one to buy or a better diy option.

Anyways, thank you so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can try petsmart for hides --- they do have nice decor there and its easy to clean -- some of the suppliers for roaches like dubiaroaches.com have hides - I got a really big one from there for Blaze and he uses it all the time he sits under his UVB on top and uses the hide - he also has one from Petamart that has his fleece blanket in it - he doesnt use that one as much except he will go sit in the door way of it and look out -- that one is on the cool side of the tank -- the UVB is a second basking spot -- you can look on Amazon -- I dont like the Hubba Huts they are too hard to keep clean if pooped on -- it is up to you tho if you like the wood -- they do make smaller Hubbas but you want one big enough for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom