Night Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

Our home thermostat is set for 60 degrees during the evenings. Is it possible this is going to be too low for our new 8 week old? Wondering if we need a CHE...

If I do use a CHE, should that go on the "cool" side of the tank (do most dragons sleep on the opposite side from their basking spot)?

I know we don't want to provide hides until the dragons are older, but where do they sleep until then? Just post up on the nearest rock or log?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They tend to sleep in all areas of their tank but most of the time go to the other side of their
tank which is either cooler or not as brightly lit to sleep.
You could get a soft fleece blankie for him to curl up on. They love their creature comforts.
They do like to cool off at night, but 60 might be a little cool. You could warm it up to at least
70 using your ceramic heat emitter. You can put that over the cooler end of the tank, & just have
it on overnight but off during the daytime.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IMO -- too cold .

No cooler than 24 degC overnight for hatchlings. << for yanks = min 75 F >>

I provided thermostat controlled heatslabs ( film style 7W heatpads sandwiched between two layers of ceramic wall or floor tiles set to stay at 35 degC for my hatchlings ).
But I'm in a coastal subtropical location so never see frosts overnight and our home is aircon-ed 24/7 ( cool in summer , heat in winter ) and we never see less than 24 degC in our house in winter.

If you see frosts and your home is poorly insulated , a dimmer controlled CHE will be better than a heatpad.

Hossinn

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. It looks like common CHEs are 60W and 100W. Since I'm "almost" there (60 degrees), am I best off getting the 60W (probably won't need 100W)?

I have another slot in my timer, so I can have this turn on each evening, perhaps when the lights turn off, but wondering if a digital thermostat temperature controller would be helpful (could work during the day or during the night)...?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A dimming thermostat will work .

Plug in the CHE ( I'd go for the slightly more powerful CHE than one that will likely struggle to keep the temperature in the correct "night time range" ).
Place the thermostat's probe near where the dragon will be in it's tank , set the temperature ( I like simple thermostats what don't have upper and lower temperature limits to worry about ( and damned audible alarms ) .

Essentially the CHE can be operated 24hrs , and it's thermostat will simply power it down during the day when the basking globe is operating and or the room temperature is warmer than the CHE thermostat setpoint.

Hossinn

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2eec9rvz said:
A dimming thermostat will work .

Plug in the CHE ( I'd go for the slightly more powerful CHE than one that will likely struggle to keep the temperature in the correct "night time range" ).
Place the thermostat's probe near where the dragon will be in it's tank , set the temperature ( I like simple thermostats what don't have upper and lower temperature limits to worry about ( and damned audible alarms ) .

Essentially the CHE can be operated 24hrs , and it's thermostat will simply power it down during the day when the basking globe is operating and or the room temperature is warmer than the CHE thermostat setpoint.

Thank you King.

- To be clear, I believe we are talking about a thermostat/controller for the "cool" side of the enclosure, to turn CHE on/off, as needed, during day or night. Is that right?

- I'm currently getting temp of 104-105 in the basking area, but wondering if I need a thermostat controller to control lights (on/off) for year round...? Although if the temp is not right, I don't want the lights to go off...hmmm.

- Do you have a (simple) thermostat you recommend?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I like these Ebay babies ,. I've got 4 x 7W & 1 x 5W heatpads on them , all on the one powerboard.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292655707977?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4423a3b749:g:HBkAAOSwhUtbWUDi&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkvjzWOStkxwnlDuxSI1PVVv3Ja0APn3YmAqhrwNuykxnxh1pS6wBhnfZVqNK3d3Cxyh%252Bsli4%252BoqwwXSO02xDHZArNov9w4sNluT9q0Jpl3Tc4Afences2XLF6iyzSaTOuq0Gayp%252FXotLc19F2y3vn0KKrzo5jL2ByjLwaSRFrIbMYBCJfRg1NY2nMIE%252B4ltMVwLbPz%252Bfbc9d2ubtfj5ZXpp%252FNTFXc7bUChTjtjwKQtwRZS1jjJp6grn%252BSIRKQFXovD50TJy8unTG1HN9VHQEt3QzgZQxZrsyLBU0KbS2gKVQ6v4dMWknF4i3d6%252BXHN%252BET92Pl%252F7jJyn2BS2Px4eOQgFpsW8fpOZnEA0VECbwn7xjKcYyReJeJrmrp5m96xXN76ilfPkaavBpq0ZijeSwfEfr6s4TG%252FEuVkf79We9wrUGfmMdZKsVwdQ%252BAOBpa%252FEsHmxd48lsuqKmRJdnV3UK%252BmQA2mbet9ptqVppyJQhAqXrDDvJeR2wyMyWSlZVcAZNsmGkZt%252Bqrx52OXCtzDkhvFGlUsq8VpvEJCkGFc%252FaSsbYtT2LpUiUMtfKZMMJriKsP4vCiCTd6T8EhsfbfFufBDW7sw5Lvl4UkyM8JtW9g4UMf1EMWIu0WOfmVM%252BFmhzFJfj%252FbKf9Zwkc%252F7eh33VV2rFtBkl9N1%252Fj4ZAiI6xxUlfpBfprum6SDqoYVI0ln71ab22jI6jAC3c9j034yW9IKkkW4WkEbxPCfW3Y%252B8jrTrYfanZyTLUPI557MCWP9lNBmaPgET3Gu8eY%252FHV9DCRiuKs3%252B%252FFCncOSdp5iiT%252B%252B%252BEFU%253D%7Ccksum%3A2926557079772eb32d3dbd434f7a8d73b43895451a60%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

I think they'll worked just as well for a CHE , simply place the probe where you want it ( near the bottom of the tank in the cool zone ).

Can control the warm zone similarly . But I think a lot of people recommend a dimming thermostat for controlling a flood globe ( basking globe ).

If you are moving into heatwave weather ( when the temps inside will stay at near the high 90s F ) I'd simply unplug the basking globe during summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom