(GUIDE) Poop in the toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Introduction

This is a step by step guide for how I have Mari poop in the toilet. I have been doing this for a year and it has been the most sanitary method and doesn’t leave any stinky mess if done properly.

One thing I see owners doing that makes me really uncomfortable is having their bearded dragon poop in the sink or in the bathtub. The poop doesn’t go down the drain in most modern households, it gets trapped in the mechanism that lets you open and close the drain. The issue with this is that your bathroom will STINK.

Not only that, but the same reasons for why you should NEVER rinse meat in your kitchen sink apply to why you should NEVER let an animal poop in your sink or tub: The bacteria will end up all over the basin and potentially get you or your family sick. If you have children who take baths in the tub after a bearded dragon pooped in the tub, they will likely put something in their mouths and get sick from the salmonella in the water. Also I just wouldn’t ever want that bacteria touching my skin as it’s gross and dangerous to allow to accumulate on your body. If you have a cut on your foot and you shower in a tub that a bearded dragon pooped in, you can get a seriously nasty infection. Just play it safe and don’t put an animal into your tub or sink if they are going to poop in there.

A much more sanitary method involves having your bearded dragon poop in the toilet. In essence you will hold your bearded dragon over the toilet, supporting their bodies with two hands, and allow them to poop there. This eliminates the smell, health hazard, and inconvenience of having to unclog drains that come with tub or sink bathing.

Materials
- A shallow bin large enough to accommodate the full length of your bearded dragon.
- Water dechlorinator
- A toilet
- Warm water
- A bowl or pitcher
- A square of toilet paper
- A towel
- A beardie who needs to poop

Methods
Step 1: Wait until your bearded is scratching (or in my case simply running around my room as she has the freedom to leave her viv at any time as I keep my door closed and don’t have dangerous pets that will hurt her.)

Step 2: Place your bearded dragon in the bin and put the bin on the floor as close to the toilet as possible. Put the toilet lid and seat up. Get a square of toilet paper and have it ready where you can easily grab it.

full

Step 3: Add some dechlorinator to the tub along with warm water. A rule of thumb is that if the water is too hot for your skin, it’s too hot for your lizard. Test the water with your elbow or use a temperature probe. Anything hotter than their basking temperature is too much. If it’s too hot you will see them try to get out of the water. Do not use cold water as it will not stimulate their bowels and will be very uncomfortable for them. Do not make the water deep, just make it deep enough to cover their back but not their shoulder pads. If your bearded dragon can only stand on their front legs or has to swim, it’s too deep.

Step 4: Monitor your bearded dragon. As soon as they raise their tail or arch their back/squat, swiftly scoop them up from underneath and hold them over the toilet. Support their body by placing both hands under their abdomen at the front and towards the vent. Don’t cover their vent or they will poop on your hand. Do not grab their tail, just let them do what they need to do with their tail. I have an example but with just one hand below: (the one hand was because I was taking a picture to write this guide.)

full

Step 5: as soon as they try to walk off, wipe their vent with the toilet paper to get the last drop off and put the bearded dragon on the floor. They will likely drag their vent on the floor to wipe as that’s what they do to keep it clean. In the meantime you should discard the toilet paper square as well as the water into the toilet. DO NOT POUR THE WATER INTO A SINK OR A TUB: IT IS CONTAMINATED WITH FECAL MATTER.

full

Step 6: rinse out the bin with hot water. You should use chlorhexidine to clean the bin out. You can do this in the bathtub as the chlorhexidine will kill the fecal bacteria.

Step 7: Dry the bearded dragon with the towel and return them to their habitat. You can rinse them with tap water if they got any poop or urate water on them, but that’s your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom