Has anyone else bought a Cat Stand as a Perch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

During the the day my little guy likes to head over to our door when it is open and bask in the sun. I just recently decided to purchase a cute and furry Cat Stand so that he can climb up and get a higher basking spot and I am wondering if anyone else has done something similar? I live in SoCal, so the weather is mostly nice, and thought this would get some good use most of the year. If you do have a little set-up outside of the enclosure, was it DIY or did you find a good substitute?

I am planning on building a ramp to the tallest perch and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

Here is a cute pic of Basil on his new perch (I placed him on here and took him down).

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's good to give them time outside of their enclosure if you have a safe spot for them. I have a small dog bed set up in a window sill (similar to the top of the cat perch you have) and Darwin loves spending time in it. A ramp for easier access might be helpful. My main concern with a cat stand is that they may be made from looped carpeting which could get caught on their nails while walking or climbing on it. If it doesn't have any material that could snag nails, it should work well.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
The Feandrea post OP is using would be good for bearded dragons. No looped carpet. It has sisel rope and this feux fur texture. Honestly I think its just not good enough for cats....beardies it would work great

NYBeardie

Nice idea! I had thought about doing this as well, but haven't yet gotten around to getting one. Your dragon looks really happy there. As for a ramp, I built one out of a 4" project board from Lowe's (<$3.00), a cheap fleece from Ikea ($2.00), and a tube of silicone to use as a non-slip "foot" on the board, though you can probably just attach the ramp to your perch. I just basically added a bunch of silicone to one end of the board to keep it from slipping across the floor, then wrapped the fleece around the board a few times, adding staples at each wrap. Our dragon uses it on his own all the time to get up to the window sill.

halima16

Original Poster
NYBeardie":3oqbue6b said:
Nice idea! I had thought about doing this as well, but haven't yet gotten around to getting one. Your dragon looks really happy there. As for a ramp, I built one out of a 4" project board from Lowe's (<$3.00), a cheap fleece from Ikea ($2.00), and a tube of silicone to use as a non-slip "foot" on the board, though you can probably just attach the ramp to your perch. I just basically added a bunch of silicone to one end of the board to keep it from slipping across the floor, then wrapped the fleece around the board a few times, adding staples at each wrap. Our dragon uses it on his own all the time to get up to the window sill.

Thanks! This is a great idea. I actually bought 2 cup hooks to attach to one end of the ramp, so I can easily just clamp it to any of the sides of the bed at the top. I am wondering now if I should wrap my ramp in fabric, I was just going to glue wooden treads onto the ramp as steps and call it a day.

NYBeardie

Gluing on treads is something I didn't think of! I'm sure that'll work just fine too. You can always just glue those on and if you find it doesn't work, then wrap with fleece. Would you mind linking the perch you bought? That looks like a nice one.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I've been thinking about getting Volcano one. What I usually do is throw a thick blanket over the radiator and leave it hanging down so when he wants to climb up into the window he can and won't get burned by the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom