Weird Springtime Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a bearded dragon named Aussie who is a year and a half old (but I’ve only had him since November). This is my first spring with him, and I was noticing some weird behavior, that I think might be related to the season. He has bee glass surfing a lot more than usual, he’s not been as interested in his roaches or greens (he’ll only eat 2-4 roaches every other day and he won’t touch his greens), and his poop has a more musky smell and in much smaller (most likely from him not eating as much). I wasn’t wondering if these were signs of him trying to look for a female or maybe assert his authority and mark territory. I’ve tried researching springtime behavior in bearded dragons, but I haven’t gotten very clear answers. So, I’m hoping that anyone who owns a bearded dragon, could help clear this up. Do bearded dragons express this type of behavior during springtime?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate any input!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes they do --- my 3 year old does it every spring--- make sure your basking temps are correct 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- you dont want the tank too hot it will cause this behavior along w/ incorrect UVB bulb and placement / distance -- you want a long tube fixture NO coils -- if this is all correct then I would say its " spring fever" -- if you have questions about placement and distance for the UVB please ask -- they do have certain requirements

LizardLover4Ever

Original Poster
I have a compact bulb set, but we don’t use the coil bulb for UV. We’ve made sure to measure the distance from where he usually sits on his basking area to the bulb, and it is in the middle of the requirement range, on the box, for the UV bulb. Also, his basking temps are always about 100-105 degrees F. And Aussie usually always just sits on his basking area, and will roam around his cage very seldom (until now of course), so we always thought we didn’t need a long strip UV bulb. So I do believe we have all of the correct set up and temperatures, so I’m hoping it’s just “spring fever,” like you said. Thank you so much for all of your helpful information! I really appreciate it! It’s good to know that my beardie is not the only one. Thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you dont have a UVB at all? Ditch the coil UVB -- they are NO good- but you MUST have a UVB- ASAP- your dragon will not live w / out one--- you need to get a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia -- get a Arcadia 12% Desert bulb -- depending on the screen on the tank the UVB can sit on top but the screen MUST BE WIDED HOLED -- if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door it will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- PLEASE GET THE ASAP----- as of now your dragon is getting sick UVB wards off MBD along w/ many numerous illnesses ---

LizardLover4Ever

Original Poster
Oh, no. You misunderstood me. I do have a UVB bulb. But I have it in dual fixture, not a strip light. He is receiving proper amounts of UVB. I have done thorough research on heat and lighting requirements and I know that he is getting the correct amounts of UVB and heat. I’m sorry for the confusion. Thank you for your help though! I appreciate all of your input and advice!! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What coil are you using? Anything other than a Reptisun 26 watt I do not recommend and even then it's iffy- that coil needs to be in a reflector dome unobstructed and 6-8 inches directly above basking decor

LizardLover4Ever

Original Poster
We are using a Reptisun 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb. There is no screen in front of it, and it is in a reflective dual fixture. The instructions that came with the bulb recommended placing the bulb 9-13 inches away from the basking spot (with unfiltered light), so we have placed it 9 inches from where his body is on the basking spot.
Here is a URL to a picture of the type of bulb we are using:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FZoo-Med-ReptiSun-Compact-Fluorescent%2Fdp%2FB00061V53Y&psig=AOvVaw15m6K3Af2F45zd0777LShk&ust=1618694062514000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLCk67bXg_ACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I hate to say this but that bulb is a terrible bulb and causes all kinds of health issues-- please get rid of it -- if you want to stay w/ a coil replace it w/ the 26 watt although the best uvb' are the long tube fixture-- I cannot stress this enough about the 13 watt- I will post some info on those bulbs later- but please get rid of that coil your using-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom