Separation issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana2xx

So I recently bought 2 babies about 2 weeks ago they was fine for the first few days then I noticed one was shedding and the other was nipping at his back. I wasn’t sure if he was trying to get the shed skin or if he was being mean I left it at that but payed more attention when one morning I seen him bite his tail so I instantly separated them. The one that was biting is totally fine, I noticed growth in him quickly! However the one shedding seems down, he just stays on the bottom laying there I try to encourage him but nothing. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s shedding still or is it because I moved him?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The bighter is establishing dominance.

I suggest separating them into their own tanks .

Essentially the dominant will get the lions share of food , the best basking spots, the best sleeping spot and will stress the dominant out , and this will only escalate. At the DOMINANT one will thrive and grow much faster than the other.

Partially if both hatchlings are males - will result in fights and one dead or horribly maimed.
You might get away with housing two hatchlings who are females or a male and female for a while.
Most keepers end up separating their dragons before they are 6 months old. Earlier is better.

Is best if they don't have line of sight of each other.

If the move was very recent , this is likely relocation stress. This is why I always evict the dominant to the new tank and leave the bullied one be ( IMO is already very stressed , and relocation will only make this stress worse til it figures out it no longer has to compete for everything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good you separated the two when you did --- please keep an eye on the ones tail - if it starts to turn black its got a infection setting in -- please post a pic of the ones tail
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
I am thinking the one is sick he would not be down for being separated -- what are you using for UVB's NO coils please they are a terrible bulb -- what are the basking temps? and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- these two things I just asked about are the two most important things in the tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon --

Nana2xx

Original Poster
He seemed fine when I moved them. He would bask and move around but now he just sleeps. He does still move positions and is aware of me talking to him but he won’t approach my hand of anything :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Uvb and basking temps are the most important things in the tank they control the overall health and behavior--

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At first they do have a bit of anxiety when moved or relocated to another tank, but in this
case moving & separating him to have his own tank it's for the best! Too often accidents
happen between the two with one being dominant, etc. He might take a week or two for
adjustment but will be perfectly fine!

Tracie

Nana2xx

Original Poster
Thank you to those who have replied, my baby is doing much better these past few days!! I’m sure it was just some stress but I’m so glad it was only that and nothing worse. Thank you again !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom