Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizmeiko

I have a about 2 maybe about almost 3 month old beardie named meiko I have had for about a good month and honestly after reading lots of guide and articles there a lot that's still not covered and Im gonna get gray hair and I'm not even 17 so like I guess I have a few questions like I have been going off the fact that meiko likes to flatten him/her self when scared and I generally don't have the issue with handling meiko but meiko seems to be scared of everything witch I am hoping is normal but I don't know and I worry about everything I well be honest I'm pretty sure meiko is doing good like normal sleep schedule and pooping schedule and all the healthy things but I am just worried why meiko is so scared I feel like a lot of the talk was only about the good or maybe I'm just always panicking and is the spray to clean reptile carpet necessary? Or does like soap and hot water work? Meiko also hates water like doesn't drink water and so I have to soak him/her a lot more and they hate it I also well feel really bad if I sex my beardie wrong but I think meiko is a girl and I guess this is a lot more like a vent but I just need some tips ?? I did a lot of research and then did even more a good week before and still always am looking things up I don't know...also small bean makes me very happy but how much should I handle meiko? She's use to me but I don't want to stress her

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Hi -

Skittish behavior is really hardwired into young beardies. After all, in nature, everything out there is a potential predator! Keep handling sessions regular and easy... short, sweet, then repeat. Try to get liquid into her with high-moisture feeders like small hornworms and keep an eye on her urates to be sure she isn't dehydrated (the whites should be soft and squishy, not hard and chalky). Baths don't do any good if she isn't drinking from them, so don't stress about bathing her if she doesn't like it.

Good luck! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They will go thru relocation stress so its good not to handle them alot -- let him/ her acclimate to the tank and surroundings- it is normal for them to be scared shes little and out in a big world -- the most important thing in the tank is your lighting-- you must have a good UVB NO coils and good basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- that is going to control the overall health and behavior of your dragon - if this is incorrect she will get sick she will stop eating ---- so if you would please go over the lighting in the tank --

lisbetha

A well handled beardie will be very open to play and out of cage time. As long as the temps are ok, they can do quite well with extended adventure time. Once they start slowing down and darkening up, it's time to make sure they're warmed up.

Pancakeing is all about making themselves bigger, sometimes defensively - especially if they flash their flatness at a potential predator - but it can also be 'max absorption' mode to get the most sun and heat... Most likely accompanied by bright light colours.

They are very playful, cuddly and responsive in general, but may have had a bad experience or little interaction with people to build on. Providing them a 'baby-proofed' area to roam and explore with you in it is a good way to allow them to develop confidence and you may find they seek you out as a playmate!

When it's big enough to be leashed, you can start taking it outside too. They love a chance to get some natural sun and snack on clover (or bees ?).

Skittish behavior is almost always accompanied by hand waving - this is a white flag behavior - saying you're the boss, I won't give you any trouble. My hubby got hand waves from our first girl every time he passed her Viv.

Lizmeiko

Original Poster
Thank guys she's just a little bean and I really just wanna make sure I'm doing everyone right for the one wondering about light I have a uva and uvb bulb and it's gives off the nature sunlight stuff to help digest and a rebel light to help keep it extra warm because the temps are kinda hard to reach because her tank is a bit bug for her but she is grown fast I also have a basic ceramic bulb for night

lisbetha

If you're having trouble hitting those temps, add some lower wattage area heading to raise the Viv ambient.

Heat mats and heat rope are good for this, even a seed mat or electric blanket under the Viv will help get that base temp up... Or warm the room.

It's not a bad idea to restrict babies. They are very sensitive to temperature loss and tend to seek out the colder areas at night. Not good if there's a big drop overnight. With my first, I blocked off half the Viv with a sheet of cardboard to keep my little girl from straying into the colder areas.

With my new little man, he's on temporary accommodation while I finish his big Viv. I'm using a seed mat wrapped in a towel under 2/3 of the tank along with his UV. Getting temps between 38-32c with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom