How to raise humidity levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently setting up an enclosure getting ready to get a new bearded dragon. I have everything I need and my temperature is looking fine. But my humidity is reading 10%. I have a water owl in there and will be getting spray bottle to mist my tank. But is there anything else I can do to raise my humidity level? Also I will be going to the store to try a different thermo-hygromoter.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You don't want it really humid. They will get a respiratory infection if it is too humid.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You should never be misting the tank of a bearded dragon to raise humidity. They are arid creatures, high humidity levels can cause issues as mentioned.

10% is fine. It won't hurt. But high humidity can.

Anyways, most hygrometers are absurdly inaccurate. So I wouldn't put much faith into your humidity reading unless you've calibrated your hygrometer. Lots of videos and tutorials out there if you want to check the calibration of yours.

-Brandon

brianarmstrong2224

Original Poster
Okay thanks! I did not know that 10% was okay for them. I was just trying to get it to around 30%. I did not calibrate it either and I will look into that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No issues with low humidity.

My dragons cope nicely with relative humidity in the 70% range , I'm in a coastal subtropical location ( than what our split aircon drops the humidity down to ) , is higher outside the house .

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
brianarmstrong2224":5j0zhaek said:
And is 25% good at night? T
Yeah that's fine. From what I've found through my research is try and keep it below 55%. I've had it get as high as 70% on warm humid summer days here on the east coast and not seen an issues but long term that wouldn't be good.

brianarmstrong2224

Original Poster
Today I decided to try and mist it one time and my humidity went up to 35% but as quickly as it went up it went back down. I also tried to cover half my mesh top with foil when I went to the store. i was gone for about 3 hours and when I came back my humidity was a 10%. This is really frustrating, I will be trying the hygrometer test tonight to see if it needs to be calibrated.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A heavy wide shallow ( acrylic ) water dish directly under the basking spot with a little water in it will push the intank relative humidity up as the water warms up and evaporates .

I don't usually advocate a water dish in a bearded dragon tank, but some dragons will drink from it , most are more likely to sit in it to cool off or poo in it ( they soon discover submerged poos don't smell as bad ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
brianarmstrong2224":17bgnumw said:
This is really frustrating
No reason to be frustrated. Your humidity level is fine. Don't try to change it.

The enemy of good is perfect. You start misting your tank and you are going to greatly increase the chances of your dragon developing a respiratory infection for litterally no benefit.

There is no benefit to changing your humidity from 10 to 30.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom