Crickets won’t shut the heck up at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I had to get some crickets because Mari’s BSFL supplier is completely out of stock and they are SO loud at night I can barely stay asleep! Does anyone else suffer the wrath of XL cricket mating calls all night long, or is it just me?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I like their churping , it relaxes me.

But if it's bugging you , use all the adult males up as feeders first , they're the ones who churp .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you put them in a cooler room or cellar? I used to notice that they would be quieter if they were kept a little bit cooler.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Feed off the male crickets (no ovipositor on rear) or because I might be a heathen cut off the males wings at the joint. Try white noise at night to drown out crickets?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2z3akfcu said:
I like their churping , it relaxes me.

But if it's bugging you , use all the adult males up as feeders first , they're the ones who churp .

All of them are adult males. They even rip each other’s heads off ?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I’ve resorted to just keeping them in my bathroom and not being a wimp about stinky smells. They are almost all gone because they are myrderers but I really would like to rear crickets simply because orthoptera is my favorite insect order ever and I just love how many species of crickets I found last summer and pinned to my insect collection. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s legal to keep insects that you find outside in my state. The two-spotted pine tree cricket is my favorite, as well as the meadow katydid. They are pretty and have nice calls.

Unfortunately the Carolina ground cricket (the kind sold at petco and petsmart) has a horrible chirping sound that sounds nothing like what the crickets outside do. I’m not complaining when there could always be the coqui-level of chirping that the Japanese burrowing cricket emits. I was once outside insect collecting when I heard what sounded almost like a frog at max volume coming from under a small rock so I picked up the rock and out jumped a solid dark brown cricket the size of my thumb!)

Also, do you guys feed your beardies live locusts? How do you not go deaf? Lol. They are so loud in the summer that it’s like my trees are all screaming for help because they are scared of the bugs all over them. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom