tail rot/infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeCaboom

Hi, so I have a question on tail rot. First off I have a beardie named Mango, she will be 7 years old this valentines day. Up until now I have never had any issues with her health, I did my research and have a properly set up terrarium, proper lighting and all that, and she has a proper diet.

So a little while back I noticed the tip of her tail had fallen off, (like last 2cm). I'm not sure how it happened, I figure she must have either bit it or it got caught on something in her terrarium, but anyways it healed and seemed fine. So a little after that she went into her brumation for the winter like she usually does, (I live in canada so we get cold short days in the winter and i adjust her light times accordingly, I know this is debatable an some people leave their light times the same throughout seasons to avoid brumation but I personally try to mimic what is happening outside and have never had a problem).

Anyways she woke up a little early from her brumation over a month ago and that's when I noticed the infection in her tail. The last two inches became very dry and brittle like a twig, I did some research and figured it must be tail rot. I took her to the vet and they confirmed what I already knew, they gave me some cream to put on it (flamazine) and said to give her a few 15 min baths per day and to raise the humidity in her terrarium. The vet does not think the infected part of the tail will heal as its basically dead but the idea is to do these things until the infected part naturally falls off while trying to stop the infection from going further up her tail. So I have done this for a couple weeks, went back to the vet for a check up to see how she's doing. The vet said the infection has not spread any further and to just keep doing what I'm doing and come back again in 3 weeks for another check up. So I am just wondering for anyone who has dealt with this, do you guys have any idea how long it will take for the infected part to fall off?

110474-6398460297.jpg
110474-9948489950.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a pretty good chunk of her tail. I'm not sure if topical antibiotics will help or not. The main thing is to prevent the spread of the infection. It's a good sign that the vet said the infection had not spread. Take plenty of photos of the area so you can easily compare over time. If it does start to move further up the tail, amputation of the infected tissue might be the best course of action in order to prevent the infection from spreading further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom