Acting cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikiMcB

Hello, I recently got a new beardie, had a couple many years ago. I just finished building him a new enclosure. His basking spot is reading in the low 100s with a temp gun but his behavior indicates that he is not hot enough. He is always in the basking spot, his color is blacker than before, he keeps climbing up the wall to get closer to the light, and he is super grumpy. I have a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb about 10” from basking spot and today I put a 100watt basking bulb close to the basking area. He is still being weird any ideas of what is up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not enough UVB possible --- what brand is the MVB and I would get a digital probe to get another temp are you using a hammock for a basking decor piece - the climbing I am thinking is not enough UVB --- but the black also could be trying to absorb the heat -- can you take a pic and post please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

NikiMcB

Original Poster
110333-4308012840.jpg
110333-3861337504.jpg
This is the enclosure I built. I have a solar glo 125 by exo terra on the left side and a reptisun 10.0 on the left with a 100 watt basking light. I will try to get a digital probe thermometer today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What bulb for UVB? A T 5 or T 8? You need to get the correct actual basking temps please- the solar glo should have a distance of around 12 inches unobstructed- please take the probe place it in the spot where he sits wait 10 minutes get temp- 95-110-

NikiMcB

Original Poster
Thank you for you help I believe you were right about the uvb. I had put the lights on top of a window screen type screen not realizing how much it may block it. I have now removed the screen and got a digital probe thermometer. The basking area reached 106 after 10 minutes. Also the other bulb is a t8.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please take the cover off the UVB fixture if there is one - you want that bulb exposed and placed directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- the temp should be fine but the UVB needs to be properly placed and distanced --- T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend a month prior to --

NikiMcB

Original Poster
The mvb should be providing most of his uvb don’t you think? I mostly put the t8 on the other side for extra light because I had it from his old enclosure and was aware that it wasn’t close enough to be effective. I contacted the breeder to ask if they recommended the t8 or mvb and they adamantly said mvb. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom