Skin issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I think my beardie is having skin issues. She has been in a shedding phase for a really long time and the skin seems to not come off. I want to stop the possibility of skin infection like yellow fungus before it’s too late. How can I do this? She is close to 2 years old. I’ll give information about her husbandry if needed. Her eye shed seems to be stuck as well, and I don’t know what to do about that. Here are some pictures.
107850-6323347953.jpg
107850-3333154032.jpg
107850-4424977941.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get rid of the towel and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- its easier to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution -- cut it to the size of your tank -- the UVB is on the top of screen and it looks like its a wide hole type-- basking decor should be 8-10 inches under it --- her scales look like they are dry and flakey am I seeing right? Her eye looks real flakey as well --- gonna have AHBD look at this and see what she recommends doing
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, please do tell what uvb you use and the temps. in the tank. I see the raggedy shed around the eye. You can use raw unpasteurized honey , diluted with 4 parts water to dab all around the eye . It's good even if it gets in the eye, so no worries about that. Use a few drops of honey with 4 X the amount of lukewarm water, that's enough to barely fill the bottom of a clean water bottle cap and plenty for using on that spot.

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Yes, I do believe her skin is dry and flakey but other people have told me it’s because her skin is too moist? I’m not sure, but anyway I’m using a uvb 18 inch bulb from repti sun. I think it’s the t8 version? Anyway her lighting I don’t think is much of an issue. I will switch the towel right away because I think it does effect humidity which can damage the skin if not dealt with properly. is there anything I can do to get her shedding again/will the removed towel help with this? By the way, she still is very active and acts normally, and her stool is good as well. The temps are just about 100 in the basking area and 74 - 78 on the cool side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB is crucial to all health-- including skin- the T 8 MUST be inside the tank w/ No cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- the towel can harbor bacteria if not changed out daily - the shelf liner I recommend is way easier to clean and more sanitary --- also the T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months I recommend every 5
Karrie

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Ok, awesome I will get to work on putting the t8 inside . Could you recommend a shelf liner for me? I looked it up on Amazon and there are many options, I want to get the best.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want one w/ some texture and NON adhesive -- try your local home improvement stores in town -- find something you like w/ the texture -- you need something hes not going to slip on and cut it to the size of the tank -- insects cannot get underneath and if you have a Home Depot get this stuff for the hood it works great its like a Velcro strap but you cut into strips and wrap it around the hood
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom