My younger dragon (Acnologia) hates everything. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliaH

I have 2 bearded dragons, Igneel is older and she is 3 and Acnologia is 2. Acnologia was paralysed last year by Igneel and cannot move his back legs properly. Since then, every time a finger enters his tank he will hiss and bit and scratch at it. He hates being pat, picked up, he even tries to bit anyone who feeds him. We've tried everything to get him to calm down, from hand feeding him vegetables and roaches to holding him and picking him up daily. The only time he wont hiss at us is if we've picked him up or when he's having a bath. He used to love people, but now he hates when we try to feed him!

Can someone out there please tell me how to connect better with him? Igneel is substantially larger at 40 cm and has no problem with people, in fact she loves being held. But Acnologia is a small boy at only 10cm (not including his tail) and hates everything.

It might be PTSD but i doubt lizards can get PTSD, so please help. Maybe it's a phase but i don't know and can't be sure. So please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are the dragons still together? Please go over the lighting in the tank the basking temps and UVB play a huge role in the behavior of dragons --- and if they are still housed together please get them separated ASAP-- we need to know the brand and bulb of UVB your using basking temps how your taking them - NO stick ons --- any colored bulbs in the tank? Is there a reflector on the hood of the UVB?
Karrie

JuliaH

Original Poster
The dragons were separated initially. I was just taking him out of his tank like normal and Igneel was below me and he jumped down in front of her. I've been using the same brand of bulb for the both of them for the 3 years i've had the lizards, so it might not be that.

His UV does have a reflector and he has classic, non colour bulbs and a basking bulb. It might be his tank cause his tank has newspaper flooring and Igneel's tank is sand. When Igneel is out roaming the house we put Acnologia in her tank because it's bigger and he gets more aggressive in the sand. Igneel's tank also has a rocky back wall and when we stick our hands in there to try and get him out he climbs up the wall...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What brand and bulb of UVB are you using? this does make a difference in the behavior --- dragons carry diseases and its not a good idea to put the dragons in each others tanks --- example coccidia - if one has it and your putting the other one in that ones tank hes going to get it as well --- just fyi -- as far as UVB brand and distance in the tank makes all the difference
Karrie

JuliaH

Original Poster
That might be it yeah. His tank is also not that great because it's basically just one of those big plastic tubs with lights in it. When Igneel ran away we got Acnologia and then she just appeared in our backyard so his tank is very impromptu.
And thanks for the heads up, i'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom