Stating a dubia roach colony questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coledtran

Hello all I’m interested in starting a dubia roach colony for my 2 month old beardie. How long would it take until I could feed the colony to him? I’ve seen it range from 1 month- 3 months to 6 months. It’s only one animal and I don’t mind spending the extra cash to make it start quicker. If I bought extra adults and didn’t feed from it for a month or two, would that be enough time? Any tips on making the process go faster are appreciated! Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was able to get my colony established in about 5 months. I bought a mix pack with no adults though, so it took longer. If you pay more and buy adults (at about a 4:1 female to male ratio, roughly) in addition to mixed sizes, then your colony will likely get established more quickly. Make plenty of food available. They love things like squash, pumpkin, bread slices, oats, and other vegetable scraps. It helps to keep them warm as well. I have an Arcadia heat projector sitting above the enclosure to keep their housing (cardboard tubes) in the 70s-80s. If you bump the temps into the 80s, they'll do even better. Once they get going though, and you find you need to keep the colony under control, bringing down the temps a little bit helps keep them from breeding as quickly.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Feeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom