Should Males and Females be kept together?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Should Males and Females be kept together?

Postby HaydensDragons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 pm

My 3 year old female "Storm" has mated with her mate and successfully laid two clutches (currently incubating) My male "Thor" and her seem to get along, don't fight, snuggle together at night and only show aggressive type behavior before mating. I have read both that they can sometimes live together if not too agressive and also that they should NEVER live together. I am not sue if my parents will allow me to get another 75gal tank to house him, and I am tying to breed them to start saving for a car. What is the right thing to do?
HaydensDragons
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Should Males and Females be kept together?

Postby destiny1998 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi. No do not keep them together. He can mate her to death and them snuggling is not a sign that they are getting along. Its a domination between them. One is dominating the other.
destiny1998
Extreme Poster

Postby loljelloclowdz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Yeah I wouldn’t even house 2 females together. You need to separate them ASAP. A $5 storage bin from Walmart or target will work just fine until you can afford a proper enclosure.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Juvie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:42 am

I agree I would get them separated ASAP
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:32 am

Hi there,

I agree, they shouldn't be housed together. Even if you're goal is to breed them, they shouldn't be housed together. They only need to come together briefly for breeding.

However..
HaydensDragons wrote:I am tying to breed them to start saving for a car.

I will give you a big tip right here, you'll save up more money by NOT breeding them, trust me LOL! Unless you have some high quality genes in the most desirable traits, you won't be making money breeding. You will most likely lose money, especially if you aren't also breeding your own bugs. And if you are breeding your own bugs, you'll probably make more money from selling bugs than you will from selling your dragons.

Not to crush your plans or anything, just trying to share some realistic experiences. If you want to breed just for the experience of it, go for it as long as you can do it responsibly, but try not to do it with the hopes of making money, as there is a good chance you won't.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion