Bearded Dragons Don't Recognize Standing Water As Drinkable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be the general consensus, yeah? Does anyone know why they supposedly don't recognize it?

My girl, Pancake, *does* recognize standing water and trots over to slurp some down as soon as I put a little bowl in her enclosure. She's going on 2 years old in a few months and has been doing this since she was a juvenile. Is she a weirdo (yes, but I mean about the water lol) or is the not recognizing standing water thing more of a myth? Quagmire, my other beardie, wants nothing to do with water in any form. Lester, my first (RIP), would only drink if I dribbled it down his snout first, but he was a rescue and all kinds of jacked up from horrible neglect before I took him in. I don't have any others to personally compare Pancake to.

Anyone else have a beardie who is all about drinking standing water?

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie's first owner told me that he loved drinking from a dropper. I however, have never gotten him to do that in 6 months I've had him. He's never shown any signs of dehydration, with plenty of liquid in his urate. I dunno. These little dudes are just weird on principle.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're all a bit different on this topic which is why you see so many varying opinions. Sometimes they'll drink from a bowl. Sometimes they need to have the water flicked at to get their attention. Sometimes they will only drink when water is dripped on their nose. Some of them will only drink from a bath, or not at all. As long as they are getting hydration from somewhere, the how isn't as important.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mine would all drink from water dripped or sprayed on their snout but they will also drink from a peanut butter jar lid when I put about 1/4 inch water and then drip water in it to attract them. I do this about once a week or 2 , that's usually all they want. When I was raising clutches of babies they all drank by being sprayed every day.

reereejugs

Original Poster
Hmm, thanks for responding, guys. It's looking like my girl is a bit of a weirdo with her love of drinking from a bowl, but not *that* much of a weirdo lol. She wants her bowl of water every single day and literally demands it if I don't bring it with her food. Stands at her doors like a hunting dog pointing at prey while mean mugging me until I get it for her ?.

My bearded dragon wouldn't drink standing water at all so sometimes I would swish it around a little in the bowl until he realizes he can drink it.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Volcano only ever used his water dish as a bathroom. He also won't drink from his baths. I mist his salad every morning to make sure he gets his hydration.

reereejugs

Original Poster
Turns out it wasn’t weirdness but hyperglycemia that was causing at least part of my baby girl’s love of drinking water ?. Within the past few days, she went from seeming pretty much fine to the crematorium ??. A little over 24 hours ago I learned she had GNT (stomach cancer) and had to make what would’ve been an even more excruciating decision, had she not already been knocking on death’s door by then. It’s not fair ?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Mari hasn’t taken a drink since she was 4 months old and I poured a gentle stream of water down her chin. She eats enough fresh veggies and juicy BSFL, so I don’t really worry about dehydration for her.

Edit: omg I didn’t see that last part because an Ad covered my page, I’m so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom