Brumation Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuc

Hi, This is George's first brumation, do you guys have any tips or websites where I can read up on exactly what to do? Ive been hearing different stuff regarding brumation, like not feeding the beardy until brumation is over, Keeping the lights off during its whole brumation, emptying out its bowels before brumation, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated, it is his first brumation and hes just been in the same spot for about a week and a half and has been sleeping. Thanks!

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
I like to keep the lights on for an hour or two less than usual to simulate the outdoors, but still turn them on every day in case the beardie decides to wake up. As for feeding, as long as he's sleeping you don't need to offer any food since while he's in brumation he probably won't take it. You can offer food again when he starts basking and/or moving around his enclosure - when that happens, make sure to offer plenty of fresh greens, fruits, and/or veggies for hydration! Also, every beardie is different but some can wake up in the middle of winter or wake up for a few weeks and then go back to sleep. If that happens, offer him food while he's awake and stop if he goes back into brumation. I haven't heard of emptying a beardie's bowels before brumation, but I don't think it's necessary. If he does need to poop during brumation, as long as you have his lights on during the day he should be able to do it himself. Overall, I'd say the only thing you need to change when your beardie is in brumation is stop offering food until he wakes back up again, and maybe keep the lights on for a bit less during the day.

ebuc

Original Poster
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will stop offering food and keep an eye on him!. Once he is out of his little cave and see him more active, I will give him food! Is there anything in particular to watch out for while in brumation? I know I have to make sure he isn't losing weight while in brumation...but is there anything else?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Brumation is understandably an anxiety inducing time, but like Marta said it's generally no problem at all with healthy dragons. I've let my dragons voluntarily brumate in every year that I've owned them, over 25 years, and never had a problem. Here is one of my boys that will be 9 years old this spring and just came out of a nearly 4 month brumation. He did not eat or drink anything or come out from under his spot at all. Looks pretty much the same as when he went in and was ready for a drink , a few insects and a small salad the first day and just now had a few mealworms. He's brumated every year of his life . :)

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29978/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom