Hibernation and Dragon Sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello wonderful beardie owners!

Had account here but email got hacked but I am still a newbie. We are going to be away and our house sitter just fell through. We are desperately trying to find beardie sitters. We have two beardies in separate terrariums we never put together. One it seems has been in deep brumination going on almost two weeks. Longest she did so far (we believe she is almost on two years old) was three weeks.

I would love any tips for beardie sitters while we are away about two and a half weeks as I admit I hate not being there and it bums me out I can't find people familiar with Beardies so they will just be in their terrarium for that time without coming out to play outside it (yes cages are large enough for adults) and I am aware, they are just animals but nevertheless hard.

So ANY tips for finding and having a beardie sitter?

Also I am worried about leaving one bruminating while I am gone. Typically when they finish I let them have a day of food and the next day bathe them for water and to clean them. But without that I just want to make sure, am I okay leaving her hibernating and not doing any of that when she "wakes up"

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with finding good beardie sitters, but you can ask local reptile shops if they can provide boarding. I've also heard of Petsmart/Petco or other big chain pet stores providing boarding, but most people don't seem to have good experiences with them. If you can't find affordable boarding, you can try looking up pet sitting businesses that can look after reptiles in your area online if you haven't already. If you can't find anything, you can usually pretty easily find a teenager in your area willing to pet sit. For this you can again look online or on Facebook, Craigslist, etc. and you could post an ad on one or more of those platforms asking about it. When you find someone, you can host an (online) interview with them to see if you think they'd do well and if you can't find anyone you trust, choose the best option and leave some of those bearded dragon pellets and maybe some dried insects along with a bowl of water just in case something goes wrong. As for the posibility of the beardie waking up, I don't think leaving them without the extra care will be a problem. Good luck!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good if you can find someone to stop by once or twice a week to check in and offer some food etc. Since one is brumating though, they aren't likely to need much and as long as lighting is on timers (and maybe a battery backup for the timer just in case power goes out it doesn't mess up the daylight cycle too much) they should be OK. It might give you peace of mind to set up a webcam on the tanks so you can check in on them while you're traveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom