Feeding schedule not adequate

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
By feeding Mari the suggested amount of insect feedings for her age (twice a week), she seems a bit thin. I provide salad daily but she doesn’t gain much weight from greens. Should I go back to the every other day feeding? She’s 1 year old.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 1 year old she should still be eating bugs every day, if not twice a day along with her salad.
I would question where you got your original information on of 2 times a week. I give my full grown adults feeders more often than that.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At a year I agree that bugs should still be offered daily. The original advice to reduce to once or twice per week probably came from me and is based on what Darwin eats (he eats a ton of veges, mostly squash). That is more for fully grown adults and the transition to that should happen slowly over the next 6-12 months.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was going by a chart I found on a bearded dragon veterinarian page that said to feed bugs 3x daily for baby, 2x daily at 3 months, 1x daily at 6 months, every other day at 9 months, 2x weekly at 12 months, and 1x weekly at 18 months. She’s at a healthy weight but she needs those nutrients to store and replace, so I’m gonna take your advice and order more bugs! Thanks! You guys are so helpful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Different methods work for different dragons but if Mari looks thin, that's what you should base any adjustments on. Some dragons that are large at the 5-6 month mark are fed larger insects which takes less of to fill them up. If a dragon is fed medium insects when they are able to eat large then the number of insects at each feeding and frequency of feedings can differ . So yes, if she is thin you can def. feed her more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom