Bowel Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI there!
I am reaching out because I continue to find myself in the same situation again and again. Bee, my 7 month old beardie girl, has been having some issues for the past two and a half months. About a month and a half ago, Bee really decreased the amount she was eating and hadn’t pooped in about 2 weeks. I took her to the vet where they okayed my setup and care for Bee and said she wasn’t impacted, but also suggested to have her dewormed (which I did). That very day she pooped and returned to her more lively self. Except this happened again, she went about 4 weeks without pooping after that and barely touched her food. I KNOW that this is very long and I should’ve taken her back to the vet sooner. I just thought she was almost going into a very early brumation because she barely wanted to eat and was so so tired. I took her to a different vet that said she’s healthy but could be a little dehydrated because she could feel a very hard urate. She gave her a small enema and sent us on our way. I gave Bee a bath when I got home and she finally had some bathroom action. This was great and you could tell she felt much better. A week later, she had another bowel movement. The week following that she had another bowel movement. Running poop and chalky harder urate. This Wednesday will now be two weeks since the last bowel movement and she’s definitely had enough food to do so. Her belly looks a little bloated. I don’t know what to do.. is she going to constantly have to have enemas? I have been giving her baths daily, providing a wide variety of hydrating veggies which she eats a bit of, and I have cut back on the amount of Dubai roaches although when offered she’s very hungry to eat them. I have also been able to get her to lick up small amounts of puréed pumpkin and puréed butternut squash. I have given her a small amount of olive oil through and eye dropper and water through the eye dropper. Still nothing. I don’t want to continue to stuff her with food if she’s not able to go, but I don’t want her left hungry. I am planning on taking her next movement in for a fecal sample, but can’t do so until she has one. I have also been giving her tummy massages and there’s nothing hard built up. I don’t know what to do and don’t know how to help her. Each week I am in a constant worry. HELP

Ah sadly I am here again 3 months later. After this whole ordeal ^^, when she finally pooped I took it to have a fecal sample done. Turns out she had giardia. She was treated and was a whole new beardie! She became more active, happier, and had more of a personality. It also became apparent that she hated being in her tank as it is too small for her. It’s a 40 gallon tank, but I recently just bought a 120 gallon tank. I am currently at my parents home in Indiana until January and accidentally had the tank sent to my place in Virginia. To make up for this, I have created an external setup for her under the table her tank is on. She has a place to bask under her heat lamb and I put the UV light over it. This way she is free to move around my room (everything is put away and cleaned up so she can’t get into anything) and she has been loving it. Our routine was that she slept in her tank, she would often poop around 11:30, I would clean it up, Clean her up, and then take her out of the tank to play in the room. She’s been amazing up until this week. This is day 4 of not pooping. She’s still eating and is quite hungry.
I’ve been giving her more baths than usual and have started massaging her tummy. I gave her a small syringe of olive oil yesterday and still nothing.

She’s now 11 months old. Am I feeding her too much? Every other day at lunch she gets greens instead of bugs and then the rest of the days is bugs lunch and dinner. Does she just have bowel issues?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, at 11 months old it's not unusual for them to go w/out pooing for 4 days. How much uvb + heat is she getting ? Her being free range is going to affect that and also affect her poo habits. She needs lots of time under the lights every day. Can you post a full body pic of her ? And yes, 2 feedings of insects per day may be too much for a sub adult dragon. Does she eat all her veggies ? BTW, try a bit of raw unpasteurized honey , that can help with constipation too.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":2dve440j said:
Hi there, at 11 months old it's not unusual for them to go w/out pooing for 4 days. How much uvb + heat is she getting ? Her being free range is going to affect that and also affect her poo habits. She needs lots of time under the lights every day. Can you post a full body pic of her ? And yes, 2 feedings of insects per day may be too much for a sub adult dragon. Does she eat all her veggies ? BTW, try a bit of raw unpasteurized honey , that can help with constipation too.

107687-3980649952.jpg
The past few days I’ve kept her in her tank because I was also concerned that she wasn’t getting enough heat. She’s getting 12 hours of heat and uvb (8:30-8:30). She eats all her veggies! Loves her veggies.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":qjapxi0l said:
She looks very healthy ! You can extend the light period to 13 hrs.though.
107687-9036300229.jpg
Ahh going on 5th day and her belly looks so bloated. She’s hungry, but becoming inactive. I don’t want to keep feeding her if she can’t digest what is already in there. When should I take her to the vet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can hold off on the food definitely and offer some raw honey mixed with water , most beardies love it. Also use unsweetened applesauce , pumpkin, and baby food squash + sweet potato.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
laneyeldridge":qtn9ubd4 said:
HI there!
I am reaching out because I continue to find myself in the same situation again and again. Bee, my 7 month old beardie girl, has been having some issues for the past two and a half months. About a month and a half ago, Bee really decreased the amount she was eating and hadn’t pooped in about 2 weeks. I took her to the vet where they okayed my setup and care for Bee and said she wasn’t impacted, but also suggested to have her dewormed (which I did). That very day she pooped and returned to her more lively self. Except this happened again, she went about 4 weeks without pooping after that and barely touched her food. I KNOW that this is very long and I should’ve taken her back to the vet sooner. I just thought she was almost going into a very early brumation because she barely wanted to eat and was so so tired. I took her to a different vet that said she’s healthy but could be a little dehydrated because she could feel a very hard urate. She gave her a small enema and sent us on our way. I gave Bee a bath when I got home and she finally had some bathroom action. This was great and you could tell she felt much better. A week later, she had another bowel movement. The week following that she had another bowel movement. Running poop and chalky harder urate. This Wednesday will now be two weeks since the last bowel movement and she’s definitely had enough food to do so. Her belly looks a little bloated. I don’t know what to do.. is she going to constantly have to have enemas? I have been giving her baths daily, providing a wide variety of hydrating veggies which she eats a bit of, and I have cut back on the amount of Dubai roaches although when offered she’s very hungry to eat them. I have also been able to get her to lick up small amounts of puréed pumpkin and puréed butternut squash. I have given her a small amount of olive oil through and eye dropper and water through the eye dropper. Still nothing. I don’t want to continue to stuff her with food if she’s not able to go, but I don’t want her left hungry. I am planning on taking her next movement in for a fecal sample, but can’t do so until she has one. I have also been giving her tummy massages and there’s nothing hard built up. I don’t know what to do and don’t know how to help her. Each week I am in a constant worry. HELP

Ah sadly I am here again 3 months later. After this whole ordeal ^^, when she finally pooped I took it to have a fecal sample done. Turns out she had giardia. She was treated and was a whole new beardie! She became more active, happier, and had more of a personality. It also became apparent that she hated being in her tank as it is too small for her. It’s a 40 gallon tank, but I recently just bought a 120 gallon tank. I am currently at my parents home in Indiana until January and accidentally had the tank sent to my place in Virginia. To make up for this, I have created an external setup for her under the table her tank is on. She has a place to bask under her heat lamb and I put the UV light over it. This way she is free to move around my room (everything is put away and cleaned up so she can’t get into anything) and she has been loving it. Our routine was that she slept in her tank, she would often poop around 11:30, I would clean it up, Clean her up, and then take her out of the tank to play in the room. She’s been amazing up until this week. This is day 4 of not pooping. She’s still eating and is quite hungry.
I’ve been giving her more baths than usual and have started massaging her tummy. I gave her a small syringe of olive oil yesterday and still nothing.

She’s now 11 months old. Am I feeding her too much? Every other day at lunch she gets greens instead of bugs and then the rest of the days is bugs lunch and dinner. Does she just have bowel issues?

It has now been almost 6 days I think and she looks so uncomfortable. I’ve given her honey water, baby sweet potato and squash, greens and many of baths. Nothing. I think it’s time for another vet checkup... sadly. Any other suggestions?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know it's frustrating for you. How many dubias a day was she eating right before this and what size ? Give her more of the honey mixture, don't feed her any insects at all and give her a warmer + deeper than usual bath. Just be patient and that should work.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":tlrxer8n said:
I know it's frustrating for you. How many dubias a day was she eating right before this and what size ? Give her more of the honey mixture, don't feed her any insects at all and give her a warmer + deeper than usual bath. Just be patient and that should work.

I just feel bad:/ and I appreciate your help and feedback. She was eating 20-40 5/8” (definitely smaller than in between her eyes) roaches a day. I haven’t given her any bugs for a few days and will give her another bath with some more of the mixture again tonight!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Remember to make the water a little deeper AND warmer when you soak her, this can often cause them to try to swim a little bit and the extra warmth often prompts the digestive tract as well. You can cut the amount of dubias to no more than 15-20 per day after you've gotten her to poo.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":2thzcw40 said:
Remember to make the water a little deeper AND warmer when you soak her, this can often cause them to try to swim a little bit and the extra warmth often prompts the digestive tract as well. You can cut the amount of dubias to no more than 15-20 per day after you've gotten her to poo.

It did the trick! I gave her more of the honey mixture last night and did a bit deeper and warmer bath than normal. She stayed in there for about 30 minutes and finally went WOOHOO! Thank you for all the help and suggestion. No more than 15-20 per day!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, great to hear it ! A subject like beardie poo causes great jubilation only on a forum like this. :lol:

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Mari has a free roaming setup too. ? also when I was a kid I suffered from chronic constipation that magically went away when I started getting hair down there, and I’m glad it did because very often I couldn’t poop for WEEKS. No one did anything to help me out and my mom denies that she never took me to the doctor about it, but I know she stopped and let me just suffer like that instead of getting my hormonal issues diagnosed and treated sooner. Anyways, I feel like I can relate to your beardie, I felt so happy when my poops were finally coming out when I had the urge to go and I started drinking water naturally. (I used to never be thirsty because hormones affect a lot of things.) I’m just glad I’m alive, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom