What to expect with female dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello, so I have a female beardie who is about a year old. She is around 16" from nose to tip of tail. I have been told that female dragons will lay eggs every once in a while even without the presence of a male dragon. Is this true? and if so, what do I expect when this happens and is there anything I need to do to help her along? Thank you!

Abby

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Abby, that's something that many owners are curious/concerned about. While they CAN lay infertile eggs without mating they are all different. Some will lay as young as 8-10 months but that's rare. Others may lay after 1 year of age, but some might not lay at all until they are 5,6...up to 8-9 yrs. old An older beardie [ 8-9 ] laying eggs is also rare. So there's no way to tell if + when yours might lay. Many owners are surprised when they suddenly just find eggs in the tank somewhere. Many females WILL exhibit certain specific behaviors like lots of scratching around the tank and losing their appetite at the same time. It's always good to have a laybox ready, you can check youtube for how to set up bearded dragon layboxes , most of them are large plastic storage totes but you can also fix a smaller one like this that I used in the past for my girls.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

Of course egg laying females need good nutrition and enough calcium but most of them have no problem. So Abby, if + when your girl exhibits possible egg laying behavior you can pop on here and ask away with any concerns you have. :)

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":7rnf6i92 said:
Hi Abby, that's something that many owners are curious/concerned about. While they CAN lay infertile eggs without mating they are all different. Some will lay as young as 8-10 months but that's rare. Others may lay after 1 year of age, but some might not lay at all until they are 5,6...up to 8-9 yrs. old An older beardie [ 8-9 ] laying eggs is also rare. So there's no way to tell if + when yours might lay. Many owners are surprised when they suddenly just find eggs in the tank somewhere. Many females WILL exhibit certain specific behaviors like lots of scratching around the tank and losing their appetite at the same time. It's always good to have a laybox ready, you can check youtube for how to set up bearded dragon layboxes , most of them are large plastic storage totes but you can also fix a smaller one like this that I used in the past for my girls.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

Of course egg laying females need good nutrition and enough calcium but most of them have no problem. So Abby, if + when your girl exhibits possible egg laying behavior you can pop on here and ask away with any concerns you have. :)

Okay, thanks so much for your answer. She is about a year old, I got her from a pet store last October 13th (2019) and she was about 2 months old. She has been a slow grower and is only about 17" from nose to tip of tail. But I had some friends tell me she might lay eggs soon so I got a bit worried :lol: once again, I appreciate your answer! I'll be sure to hop on here and ask any future questions I may have.

Abby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom