How Am I Doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new beardie mama, I've owned my little guy for about 6 months now. I'm just wondering if I'm doing alright and if there's anything I should change. I want my baby to be the happiest and healthiest that he can be!

My beardie is named Nico and I think he's male, I'm not 100% on that yet. Is there any way I can find out the gender without taking him to a vet? He's around 6 months old, 15 inches long, I'm unsure of his weight. I plan on buying a gram scale soon.

His terrarium is 48x24x24 (LxWxH). I have a 22 inch ReptiSun T5 HO 10.0 UVB tube and a 100 watt Repti Zoo ceramic infrared heat emitter. The basking area/warm side of the terrarium is usually between 95 degrees and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool side is usually between 80 degrees and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a cloth mat in the bottom of the terrarium that I wash about every 3 days.

Before I speak on his diet, I want to say that I am not rich and insects are not cheap so my beardie is not on the ideal diet for his age right now, I am working to change this. His meal schedule is insects, salad, salad, repeat... On days that he is refusing salad, I'll add insects to make it more appealing to him. For insects, I feed him superworms and dubia roaches. He eats about 20-30 insects on these days. For salads, I do a base of mainly kale, with some kind of fruit or vegetable (his favorites so far are apple and sweet potato), and 1/2 teaspoon of softened Zilla Bearded Dragon pellets (I've been told that these are very nutritious).

My beardie seems to be doing very well, but I know there is room for improvement on my part. I would like to know how I can improve. Again, I am not rich so if you can recommend products more on the cheap or affordable side then that would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs a bright white basking bulb -- the heat emitter is for tanks dropping below 65 at nite -- not for basking --- you can get them from your local pet store or you can try using a bulb that is a 72 watt equivalent 100 watt mercury free 2 x life -- they are a indacandasent bulb they are cheap -- look at Walmart -- try those but they must get your basking temps to what they need to be -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is good keep feeding-- I can post website for insects -- you can get them cheaper on line than at the pet stores -- if you want them let me know I will post for you --- please post a pic of the dragon w/ his butt in the air tail end we need to see his vent
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

missbrightside

Original Poster
Thank you for responding. I'm switching out the heat emitter for a basking bulb today. And please do post links to websites where I can get insects, that would be very helpful.
109814-4465605188.jpg
I hope this photo is okay. If not, I can take another. When I took this photo I noticed slightly clogged pores. What causes this and what do I do to unclog them?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your care sounds great and his diet is actually very good. They don't need so many insects like a lot of people recommend, no need to get a beardie super sized in their first year of life. BTW he is a he. :)

missbrightside

Original Poster
Thank you for telling me his gender! And I'm relieved to find out that his diet is good. I've switched out the heat emitter for a basking bulb and he already seems to be liking the space better. I had no idea this was an issue. I also took a closer look at his pores and they actually look normal. My mistake! Thanks for the help :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Insect / worms websites
www.dubiaroaches.com they have good roaches and nice horn worms --- order small amounts of the horn worms they grow really fast
www.reptilianarts.com good silk worms - the cupped come w/ food - clean containers out daily
www.coastalsilkworms.com east coast and west coast
www.mulberryfarms.com they are the only place I know that has butter worms now -- they are spendy tho-- I ordered 50 butter worms and 20-24 hornworms for around $50 that includes 3 day shipping
www.symptonbsf.com nice BSFL -- order large -- good staple feeder and you dont need to dust they make great salad toppers
www.aafeeder.com they have bundle packages
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom