New Beardie Acting Weird Possibly Shedding Habits

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

New Beardie Acting Weird Possibly Shedding Habits

Postby Hpearcy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Hello, I recently got a 4-6 month old dragon from a reptile sanctuary and Ive had her for a week. She was de wormed by the vet at the sanctuary and all medically checked out. I have a 20 gallon but just got a 55 gallon I'm moving her into tomorrow. She has a zoo med 10.0 UVB light and ceramic heat emitter. She has been eating and pooping amazingly and playing/ running around. Tonight after her little run around I put her in her tank and she did a kind of C shaped movement that looked like a seizure maybe but was very weird. Then she laid on the log I have on the cool side of the tank very quickly which is unusual. She has also been basking fine and gaping like normal. I have bathed her and spritzed her with water and she is hydrated. I just am nervous if it is actually a seizure or just because she is shedding that she needed to itch somewhere. She also is trying to sleep in cooler areas but I turn her heat off at night and it is 70-80. Is she just acting off because of shedding? Sorry I know this is everywhere I just have been freaking out as a new owner and want her to live the best life possible. Please help!
Hpearcy
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New Beardie Acting Weird Possibly Shedding Habits

Postby DorgEndo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:05 am

More detailed information on the lighting and heat would be useful.

Is the Zoo med bulb this 10.0 light? -> https://zoomed.com/t5-ho-reptisun-10-0-uvb/ With a reflector hood? Enough UVB is important for health and behavior as you know. It takes a long florescent tube light bulb to create enough UVB. Only a few in the market make enough UVB for bearded dragons.

How hot is the day time basking spot?
Devlyn my beautiful bearded dragon, approx hatch 8/18, mine since 2/19. Kitty Greysie born 3/06. Lttle rescue Charlie the American grey tree frog, found 11/18. Lots of house plants, I like cacti and succulents.
DorgEndo
Juvie Poster

Postby Hpearcy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:12 am

I have that 10.0 reptisun and a reflector good, she seems to be doing much better in her 55 gallon tank. Her basking spot is between 105-110 F and cool side is 80-85F. Her appetite is great and poop as well and she’s been playful so I think it was the tank upgrade that was needed! Plus she did a full body shed so since she finished that she seems to feel better. Thank you for the reply!
Hpearcy
Newbie Poster

Postby Cazz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:44 am

Was the"C shape" movement with a front leg? If it was, it was a wave. They do this to acknowledge a presence in the room. It's a kind of submissive gesture. A hi I mean you no harm, don't harm me gesture. It's normal in the beginning and should subside as the beardie acclimates to its surroundings.
Cazz
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion