What is the best place to sell baby beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayroy824

I have a sweet 10 week old hypo 50% het trans gorgeous male bearded baby that I cannot keep. I want him to go to a home that will love him and care for him the best as possible but in Southern Cali there are zero options. Any suggestions?
109553-141267167.jpg
109553-6088849357.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this, didn't you just get him for your son ? Is it not working out ? BTW there is a for sale forum here, I think you pay a small fee if I'm not mistaken.

kayroy824

Original Poster
Hello, thank you for responding. Yes he is relatively new I got him 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately I am not sure if he wasn’t handled before we purchased him from the breeder but he is very aggressive. I have worked with him every single day 2 times a day for about 20-40 mins each session. Unfortunately he is still mouth open and biting. I have zero experiences in curbing behavior like this, and have only had dragons that were calm, docile and enjoyed being handled. This little guy doesn’t like to be touched, petted or handled in any way. I just do not have the experience to change his behavior, I am just following along with what I find online and it just doesn’t seem to have any effect except anger him more. He is still very young so that is why I am hoping someone with experience will have a better outcome. My son dreamed of having a dragon for himself but we’ve gotten to a point where he cannot touch him or have any part of him besides looking through the glass. And I over watch every single interaction so I know my son is not mistreating him or being rough. I know this little guy has the potential to be sweet and love people, I just don’t have the experience and with homeschooling my children due to Covid , I cannot add anymore sessions than 2 times a day and 3 times a day on the weekends with him since I am already spread thin. It hurts me to have to do this but I don’t know what else to do. And with how fast they grow I would rather someone be able to help with his fear and aggression now rather than later. I have reached out to the breeder and they assured me he just needed to adjust more, even though I explained his aggression seems to be progressing rather than retreating. I spoke to another individual who also got their juvenile dragon from the same breeder and they too are experiencing the same issue. So I believe it unfortunately is a big breeder that puts quantity over ensuring each dragon is getting love and handling adequately before going to new homes. If anyone has any suggestions that would be helpful but I have already tried a laundry list of methods. And yes his temps are correct, he is eating perfectly, his lighting is on point, it is just his attitude. He is such a sweet beautiful boy as long as you are only looking at him. Again I would rather this behavior be curved now while he is young rather than later. Bites get harder as they get older.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's too bad, I know you guys are disappointed. When I had squirmy, uncooperative dragons I would usually pick them up firmly but gently and hold them to my chest for 10-15 minutes at a time. They will calm down when trapped against your body, from there you just allow them to roam a little and watch them wander around . After a while they get used to being out and hanging out on the bed, couch, etc. Some never become super mellow but most any dragon will settle down after a while. Still, I understand your frustration but if you can't sell him [ or up until you do ] just keep a good attitude and keep working with him. He should calm down. :)

kayroy824

Original Poster
Thank you for responding, we have begun doing just that actual about a week ago. Getting him out the tank is the biggest issue. I can put my hands in on the opposite side of the tank which is where his greens are and he’s okay but if I move my even an inch closer in his direction it’s straight black little beard, mouth open and he’s ready to take a nibble. I stopped allowing my son to even put his hand in to attempt to work with him but the little guy has taken 2 bites and my son who is 7 and is a massive animal (especially reptile) lover which zero fears, is getting actually fearful of him which is very discouraging. I will continue working with him and hopefully something will catch on. At the moment since my husband is home and has no fear of holding bugs we have begun hand feeding his bugs as well as greens (we were only hand feeding greens before) so hopefully this helps. I am hoping, praying, and wishing he calms down. I would love for it to work out. I will definitely try keeping him out on our chest when he’s out. Unfortunately when he is out, since he’s young he just wants to run like the wind! But we will try it!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry to hear about that.
Some dragons are just more difficult to tame than others. But I've never met one that didn't eventually tame up. Although i'm sure they are out there.

Their is a forsale section here you can use. It's probably one of the better places to use as most people here will be knowledgeable on dragons. Unlike if you were to use facebook or craigslist.

Have you tried talking with the breeder you bought him from and seeing what they might be willing to do? Or maybe even a local petstore might be interested.

That aside, if you are looking for another trick that might help you, wait to handle him until it's basically his bedtime, or until he starts getting tired. He is less likely to fight, and IME, getting them to fall asleep on you is one of the best ways to build trust.

-Brandon

kayroy824

Original Poster
Hello Brandon :) thank you for taking time to respond to my post. So I did speak to the breeder, they informed me “this is natural and he just needs more time to settle in his home” which I feel is just a dont want to deal with it type of response. I’m still not sure how to navigate this app to find that section. Unfortunately where I live in SoCal my only options are petco and PetSmart and I’d rather not go that route unless it was absolutely necessary because... well... I don’t even need to explain that one. He eats great, and loves his greens. There are times he even prefers them over his bugs which I have never met a dragon like him. There are times where we have been able to pet his back for a very very short amount of time, and he will close his eyes but all the research I have done says that is a sign they aren’t enjoying what you are doing so we stop and he opens his eyes, never falling asleep. When he is out of the tank it is for about 10 minute intervals because he is a juvenile and doesn’t sit still, just wants to run run run as fast as he can and it isn’t easy trying to hold on to a little wiggle worm that wants to take a bite. And he is fast and still little so there’s a lot of little places he can fit under where I am too nervous to let him free roam just yet. I don’t have much time to prepare to the room before we get him out because we never know when we will be able to successfully get him out... if that make any sense. Maybe some one can invent a Bearded dragon baby boot camp to help get his little ‘tude in check.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
You may need to just find a good rescue group, if selling the little guy doesn't work out. I've heard of this one - https://www.creepycrittersrescue.com/ - and I know that there are LOTS of others in SoCal, too.

I wish I could help, but I'm clear across the country and in "critter jail" with my dear hubby for having too many little fur-and-scale kids as it is! It's a fulltime job homeschooling your littles (speaking as a teacher, I feel your pain) and I can definitely understand why you need to take this off your hands. Sending the best of wishes, and hoping you can find a good home here on the forum. So many folks are looking for babies, I'm sure you'll have some luck. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom