Feeding and basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Have a few questions. Can you use a megaray for UVB only? Add another fixture if needed for Temps. I wanted to feed mostly a stable diet of veggies and greens/ Squash. Its a hatchling bearded dragon. I mention the megaray because I have one. I currently don't have a reptisun. Trying figure thatout with new bulbs they have. T5 an original is fixture i currently own lol. Just original fatter bulbs seem to be more expensive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A Megaray will produce UVB and heat together. It's important to set them at an appropriate distance based on UVB output (12'' or so for the 100w). That may or may not produce an adequate temperature gradient. You can set up a halogen bulb or a heat projector/CHE next to it in order to add more heat if needed.

A hatchling will need a lot of live bugs to provide protein for growth. Crickets, roaches, black soldier fly larvae, and silk worms are common offerings. They should get a couple of bug meals per day, dusted with calcium powder. It's good to offer a salad as well. Once they are adults (18-24+ months old) they can do well on a primarily vegetarian diet. They'll need veges daily, but only need bugs once or twice per week (roughly).

Feetlover01

Original Poster
Never heard of black fly larvae. But mostly crickets with selection at pet store. Hard get feeders online with cold Temps now. I got my hatchling today. Not going feed inside enclosure. But greens/veggies. Using a 40gal breeder is that to big for bearded dragon. That is 3-4 inches. Don't know the sex. Just seems very small to me. From ones I seen for sale at the stores. I wanna mount a uvb fixture inside the enclosure. Just with size and how much they climb an fly around when small. Had a bad experience so avoiding it for while. With mesh top just dont trust uvb exposure. Using a 100watt megaray figuring I need basking Temps of 105-110 with a kiddo. So adjusting see if another lamp is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom