Bearded Dragon Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

izanagi

hey guys,

this is just a post for fun! if im in the wrong category, i apologize and please feel free to move this.

but i feel that most bearded dragons have a certain “smell”. my last bearded dragon, cecil, smelled like maple syrup (yes! it sounds so weird, but he really did!) and my current one has a smell i cant describe. he doesnt STINK (i clean the tank everyday and give him baths!) he just has a smell yknow?

but what i was asking if anyone else has noticed this and is there some science behind this? and if anyone has noticed this, what does your bearded dragon smell like?

this is so weird, im sorry ?

dezismom

Juvie Member
This does not seem wierd, to me! I have had three dragons, and did notice each has his own signiture scent--not as in poo or like that, but like humans have different body odor...

My Beardies scents are not at all offensive to me, and they also seem to notice my scent--we often greet one another with long sniffs ( ok, now I am the one being weird, but honest) I suspect scent is an important aspect of their way to identify us and one another. They do have a special gland in the roofs of their mouth, called a Jacobs organ, that biologists think is some combination of scent/taste. That little tongue flick they do when exploring is apparently a way to bring smells to that organ. Such fascinating, wonderful creatures!

izanagi

Original Poster
dezismom":1ik0hvdc said:
This does not seem wierd, to me! I have had three dragons, and did notice each has his own signiture scent--not as in poo or like that, but like humans have different body odor...

My Beardies scents are not at all offensive to me, and they also seem to notice my scent--we often greet one another with long sniffs ( ok, now I am the one being weird, but honest) I suspect scent is an important aspect of their way to identify us and one another. They do have a special gland in the roofs of their mouth, called a Jacobs organ, that biologists think is some combination of scent/taste. That little tongue flick they do when exploring is apparently a way to bring smells to that organ. Such fascinating, wonderful creatures!

the long sniff part is cute, dont worry! ? im glad im not the only one that has noticed this!! and i didnt know about the jacobs organ, thats so cool. i love finding out something new abt beardies everyday. i even showed my grandma irwin (thats my beardies name, named after steve irwin!) and i was like “you smell it right?” and she gave me such a confused face because she did and she was trying to figure out how to describe it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom