Bonding ?? idk what to name this-

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityy

So I’ve had my bearded dragon for exactly 3 months & she’s very healthy. She eats well (both veggies/greens and bugs), poops daily, just got done shedding about a day ago, is growing, never has a black beard or any stress marks & overall she’s doing very well !

She’s finally letting me pet her which is making me super happy because the store that I bought her from treated her kind of badly so I thought that she wouldn’t really trust anyone after that. but now she eats out of my hand every day, I can pet her and she won’t get scared or stressed, I tend to “play” with her / entertain her inside of her tank by just petting her or letting her chase food around and every once in a while giving her treats.

Now that I can pet her and she’s not afraid of my hands, I want to try to begin picking her up for a few minutes everyday and just letting her lay on my hand or my shoulder or something :). So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations / instructions ??

on how to approach them, pick them up, hold them, etc so that they don’t feel stressed or uncomfortable ! other than that yepp things are going well with my beardie and we’re bonding and getting closer and closer every day ! :))

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
3 months is a long time to hold off on handling, Mari was handled since day one. Just go all in right away, Mari was skittish at first but after a few times of her running around and being hard to catch, she finally got used to me picking her up. Just slide your hand under and scoop them up. You might need two hands just to scoop them up. Don’t stand up, sit down with them so they don’t jump and hurt themself. You might have to chase them with your hand around their viv, but you need to get them okay with being picked up and held. They get aggressive and bite if you don’t teach them this before a certain age.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you've done a great job getting her settled and helping her trust you. Now, it's really going to be a matter of how she reacts to being picked up, and taking things in slow, easy steps.

Like loljelloclowdz said, try to approach her from below or the front. Coming at her from above is stressful for them, though with top-opening tanks, if you have one of those, you can't really help it. I generally talk to my Figment for a little bit and stroke his back so he knows I'm there, and that I'm about to handle him.

Scooping from below is the best way to pick up a dragon - I try to slide my hand under from the front, rather from the side, but that's just my preference and not anything that's required. I immediately get both hands under Figment (he's a big boy) so his back legs aren't dangling and he feels well supported. If I don't get my hands under quickly enough, he'll thrash and whip his tail around, and I don't like that, knowing that he's stressing.

Many people will recommend handling just before or just after lights-out, when your dragon is sleepy and less inclined to want to go exploring. I have always handled Figment whenever I have the time, but there is definitely something to handling a sleepy dragon if you've got one who is uncomfortable with handling.

Just keep the handling sessions short at first, and build up to longer cuddle sessions. But don't put her down immediately if she fusses at you - that will teach her that she can get you to put her down based on negative behavior. :)

dezismom

Juvie Member
Hi, trinityy,
you have been given some good advice. I have always begun handling early, asap. Keep in mind three words: sound, touch, scent. These are their best methods used to identify things (i.e., you) Speak slowly softly and in as deep a voice as possible. Gently rub his favorite spots...Logan loves the eyebrows, Oji loves the lips...each is different. Keep the rubs repetitive, they love predictibility. Scent is most important. That little tongue flick is getting the smell to the gland in mouth called a jacobs organ. It is combo scent/taste, and goes directly to memory as identification.

Now is time to pick up. both hands, always. one is over and under chest and shoulders. other is thumb on pelvis, fingers on top of tail base. Hold him snug, with authority! Not pinching, but dont be shy. Be in a quiet room, no dogs, kids, loud voices.

Do you know the burrito wrap method? Sounds exactly what it is..use the same blanky every time, and dont wash it, unless he poos it. wrap him snugly Only his snout need be out. Keep him on your chest high near your neck, where he smells you best. Sound gross, but your BO.is a fine purfume to a dragon! Dont wear any perfume, perfumed deodorant, or hair products..thats just offensive.

Hold as long as he will tolerate, dont release right away if he begins to fuss, but just a bit more. Someimes, they fuss to tell you to keep up the head petting! Mine cerainly do. Dezi used to slap my chest with an open paw. I thought is so cute, I sometimes deliberatly stopped petting, just to get the slap. ? Logan wriggles his hips to keep me petting. adorable. Each will have his own time tolerance, depending on his energy level and maturity. Some can be held all day. others, a quick snuggle, and off we go! I swear my Oji has some activiety disorder, like adhd.

So, good luck! keep at it! Only repetition and time and maturity will get your dragon acting like a litle lamb. Trust. It is all about trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom