I am possibly moving. Will it be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowynalloway

I am currently a 15 year old bearded dragon owner. I got my bearded dragon in June for my birthday after begging with months of research in my pocket. So far I have done the best possible for my bearded dragon. I feed mainly bsfl and dubia, I have proper lights and enclosure set ups, I supplement and bathe, etc.
The original plan was for me to live in the guest house with my parents while I went to college.
But an amazing opportunity for me as arised. I am now looking into graduating highschool at 17, interning for a year, and then going to a university abroad (specifically Germany). I would be there for the entirety of my college education and then most likely move back to the U.S where I am currently living.
My bearded dragon means the world to me, I am worried that this may negatively affect him. I can't leave him with my parents because I don't trust that my bearded dragon would be cared for. Would I be able to bring him with me?
what options would I have?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to talk w/ Brandon - AHBD - Cooperdragon - or maybe Tracie our vet tech mod about this --
Karrie

zasdarq

Congratulations on the opportunity! It sounds like it would be an amazing experience. I've spent many years studying and living abroad and it's brilliant. During my time, I've never moved with a reptile, but I've moved internationally multiple times with both cats and dogs. Three things to consider:

Legality:

Generally speaking, you will probably be able to bring your dragon with you if you want. From a brief google search, I can't find anything suggesting Bearded Dragons wouldn't be allowed in Germany, as it isn't an endangered species. But the vast majority of information out there is for cats and dogs, not reptiles. I would contact your local German Embassy or Consulate and ask them about importing non-commercial reptiles. You'll likely have forms to fill out, and possibly extra vet visits both on the US side and the German side to verify the health of the animal.

Logistics:

I'm not sure what the best method would be to actually get your buddy to Germany would be. Bringing them with you when you leave might not be ideal, as you wouldn't have a home set up and waiting on the other side. It might make sense to go without them, setup their environment, and then have them shipped to you separately. This could also be theoretically cheaper as arranging for air-fare on the same plane as you is not cheap (you wouldn't be able to just bring them with you as carry-on) But next-day shipping to Germany isn't going to be cheap either :(

Well-fare:

I have no idea how stressful it is for a reptile to fly, maybe one of the other board members can speak to that. I know breeders regularly mail reptiles, so it doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

TLDR: It's probably possible bring them, but won't be super easy. I know how important it is do want to continue caring for your pet, and the extra hoops to jump through are totally worth it if they're within your capacity to do. Good news is you have plenty of years to figure it out and decide what would be best for both you and your scaly friend. Try not to stress about it and embrace the exciting opportunities ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom