Just a general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christinemac

good morning everyone. I am just posting this here because of something I have been reading on a bd fb page. Not once not twice but a number of times. Now yes I have a bd but I'm coming at this from a livestock farmer's point of view because that is where I'm at. I am seeing the owners are finding that their pet has parasites and go to the vet and get prescribed antibiotics no anti-parasitics. In livestock, I know the antibiotic will do nothing with the worm load. Whats the deal? Antibiotics are for bacterial infections not parasites. Why are they doing that? In the world of livestock, we can't even get antibiotics without a vet appointment because of over use and the eventuality of these antibiotics becoming useless. I can see this happening in the future with bds. I kinda think this is like giving kids antibiotics for the sniffles and then when they need it, it doesn't work. Anyways does any one know of any studies out in www that I could peruse to say that antibiotics work on parasites in bd? Thank you.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
There are several different BD facebook pages and some are definitely subpar. Antiparasitic medication would have to be prescribed. Panacur is a common antiparasitic bearded dragons often get when they have worms.

It wouldn't matter for bearded dragon or dogs or humans. The medication has to match the cause of the illness.

Christinemac

Original Poster
That is exactly what I was trying to tell an owner and she basically said I didnt know what I was talking about but apparently I know more than her vet. Thank you.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Many vets aren't very well versed in reptiles. And many aren't in beardies specifically.

We see it all the time here where a vet just prescribes a common antibiotic like baytril just because they feel they need to do something at all.

Of course some vets are very knowledgeable. But just like with anything, some are good and some are bad. The questioning mind is sometimes the best thing you can have.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom