When do they reach full size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie's about 1 year old and he's 16 inches long from nose to tip. He has a bit of a nipped tail. He's also about 490 grams. I've heard they reach full size at about 18 months. What do you guys think???

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He will most likely grow more, as well as fill out some into his 2nd year also.
How much of a nipped tail does he have?
Yes, I would say 18-24 months is usually a good time frame for full adult hood,
for weight, etc. They can grow & mature more as they age too.
You can post some pictures for us also, so we can take a look at him.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My observation is bearded dragons' growth rate is like an inverse exponential curve , very fast in the first few months, and diminishing rapidly over the next 2 years.

Here are some of dragon growth curves , I use body weight as an indicator ONLY .
1-OCT-AUSTRALIAN-DAILY-HOSPITALISATION-SNAPSHOT.png

Fully grown length wize at about 30 months old.

I prefer a slow steady grow rate rather than an accelerated growth rate early to get a dragon to close to adult size , as some people will do to get a dragon large enough to look adultlike and start breeding ASAP.

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Thanks for your guys' input!

Tracie, unfortunately I don't know how much of his tail is nipped off as he had already had it missing when I got him. Based on where it cuts off though, I can assume by now, it would have given him an extra 2 or 3 inches.

106660-5636907206.jpg
This picture was taken in April, about 6 months ago.

106660-2468077620.jpg
This picture was taken about 2 weeks ago.

If any of you have checked out my most recent post on September 29th, you would know that he has not shown any growth in length since about the end of February. He has however, gained about 100 grams since then. Which boggles me because I'm not sure why he's not growing in length, but retaining weight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is completely normal. Initially, they grow in length first.....then, they fill out & mature,
widen, etc. So, he is looking very nice there! I absolutely love his color, excellent.
He appears very healthy.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom