Switching to flood lights ???

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Switching to flood lights ???

Postby Longfellow777 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 am

I was told to switch to a ho [Click image to enlarge]
flood light par30??? I hear there better and more efficient so I bought a pack today it’s led though I was told white light? Is this ok ? Wow I just noticed there not halogen will they work ?
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Switching to flood lights ???

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am

The LED bulbs won't work because they don't produce nearly enough heat. While these are becoming standard for lighting, you'll need to look for older halogen or incandescent models to provide heating for a reptile. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V92RIG/
CooperDragon

Postby Longfellow777 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 am

i thought so thank you COOPERDRAGON you've responded on all my feeds its appreciated. I have receipt and happy to say i have got my lighting and uvb reptisun tube and all that good stuff got the basking right and got my cool side at lile 78-82 degrees so were chilling. i will go on link and get those now right now im running a 150 intense exoterra bulb but think the floods will do her better and my bills better lol. shes so much more active after getting the 10.0 t5 !!! and happy to be a member on here
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

Postby Longfellow777 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

oh and the 150 is 12 inches from her spot and shes only 4 months so i have it between 102-106 f
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am

Sounds like everything is in good shape! The halogen may or may not provide the right temps. They can be dimmed a bit if needed (or raised/lowered if possible). The temps vary from enclosure to enclosure so you may find that you need a different wattage etc. Takes a bit of fiddling to start with, but once you find something that works, it's smooth sailing for the most part.

I just received a 100w halogen pool/spa bulb in the mail. I tested it on two different fixtures and it blew the fuse for some reason. :dontknow: trial and error =)
CooperDragon

Postby Longfellow777 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 am

For sure bud thank you i purchased the bulb you linked me to. Now that i know the proper kind i will buy alternate wattages to get desired temps. Have a good day
The Longfellows
Longfellow777
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:00 am

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures