Beardie Enrichment

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Beardie Enrichment

Postby westcoastlizardlady » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Hello!

My female beardie is about 1 year and a month old. When she was younger, she had quite the personality, and was extremely curious, and playful. Now, she doesn't seem to want to do any of the things she previously enjoyed.
I know this sounds silly, but I believe she might be bored. I work from 9-5 every day (except weekends), so I don't get to play with her a lot, until I get back home.
I have researched multiple different ways to play with your beardie, tried them all out, and NOTHING has seemed to spark her attention. I've seen countless videos online of other bearded dragons enjoying these fun things, but she seems to want nothing to do with them. I understand that some beardies are different than others, but it seems odd that she doesn't enjoy at least ONE of these things!
I have tried:
- Playing with a laser pointer with her
- Trying to get her to play with a stuffed animal
- Cat toys
- Small balls
- Mirrors
- Climbing accessories
- Playing with bug games on a screen
- Watching TV


Please help! Is it normal for a beardie to not like any of these activities? She seems so bored and depressed, I really want to get her to have some fun, but I'm just not sure what else I can try.
Thanks guys! :)
westcoastlizardlady
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:58 pm

She needs to sit in a LR window and be able to look out - that seems to entertain them for a while - dragons are not one to "play" their main thing is to lounge around and hang ---- some like to watch TV as the screen changes they can see different colors etc----
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10931
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby saraho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am

I like Karrie's window suggestion. That's my Charlie's favorite thing to do other than actually go outside to walk. I'm worried about boredom too, since South Dakota gets cold and stays that way for a long time. I'm hoping to keep him entertained and happy here at the library (I don't think he can winter at my house as I had originally hoped.)
“Let me tell you: the only way to get rid of dragons is to have one of your own.”
― Evgeny Shvarts,
User avatar
saraho
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby loljelloclowdz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

westcoastlizardlady wrote:Hello!

My female beardie is about 1 year and a month old. When she was younger, she had quite the personality, and was extremely curious, and playful. Now, she doesn't seem to want to do any of the things she previously enjoyed.
I know this sounds silly, but I believe she might be bored. I work from 9-5 every day (except weekends), so I don't get to play with her a lot, until I get back home.
I have researched multiple different ways to play with your beardie, tried them all out, and NOTHING has seemed to spark her attention. I've seen countless videos online of other bearded dragons enjoying these fun things, but she seems to want nothing to do with them. I understand that some beardies are different than others, but it seems odd that she doesn't enjoy at least ONE of these things!
I have tried:
- Playing with a laser pointer with her
- Trying to get her to play with a stuffed animal
- Cat toys
- Small balls
- Mirrors
- Climbing accessories
- Playing with bug games on a screen
- Watching TV


Please help! Is it normal for a beardie to not like any of these activities? She seems so bored and depressed, I really want to get her to have some fun, but I'm just not sure what else I can try.
Thanks guys! :)



They get kinda grumpy when they get older. Mari wants nothing to do with toys. 😂
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
User avatar
loljelloclowdz
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: United States (I'll elaborate if I need a vet)

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby westcoastlizardlady » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

KarrieRee wrote:She needs to sit in a LR window and be able to look out - that seems to entertain them for a while - dragons are not one to "play" their main thing is to lounge around and hang ---- some like to watch TV as the screen changes they can see different colors etc----
Karrie


Thats a great suggestion. Thank you!
westcoastlizardlady
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby westcoastlizardlady » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

loljelloclowdz wrote:
westcoastlizardlady wrote:Hello!

My female beardie is about 1 year and a month old. When she was younger, she had quite the personality, and was extremely curious, and playful. Now, she doesn't seem to want to do any of the things she previously enjoyed.
I know this sounds silly, but I believe she might be bored. I work from 9-5 every day (except weekends), so I don't get to play with her a lot, until I get back home.
I have researched multiple different ways to play with your beardie, tried them all out, and NOTHING has seemed to spark her attention. I've seen countless videos online of other bearded dragons enjoying these fun things, but she seems to want nothing to do with them. I understand that some beardies are different than others, but it seems odd that she doesn't enjoy at least ONE of these things!
I have tried:
- Playing with a laser pointer with her
- Trying to get her to play with a stuffed animal
- Cat toys
- Small balls
- Mirrors
- Climbing accessories
- Playing with bug games on a screen
- Watching TV


Please help! Is it normal for a beardie to not like any of these activities? She seems so bored and depressed, I really want to get her to have some fun, but I'm just not sure what else I can try.
Thanks guys! :)



They get kinda grumpy when they get older. Mari wants nothing to do with toys. 😂



I swear thats so true lol! She is so grumpy all the time.
westcoastlizardlady
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Re: Beardie Enrichment

Postby SavannahDragons » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm

I'm sorry, but... she's a lizard. Their brain is about the size of a pea, and while they are intelligent little guys and I love my beardies to death, they're lizards. They're not dogs or cats; they don't "play." They can't get bored. :(
Lizzie: Bearded Dragon, Male, 3 years old
Jaxie: Bearded Dragon: Female, 3 years old
Luke: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Reia: Bearded Dragon, Female, 1 1/2 years old
Anakin: Bearded Dragon, Male, 1 1/2 years old
Lili Ann: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
Paxy: Savannah Monitor, Female, 2 years old
SavannahDragons
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users