I Think Someone Needs a Dig Box

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

I Think Someone Needs a Dig Box

Postby Shaun78 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:50 am

So last two days I've noticed Volcano has been scratching at the glass and pulling up the cover of the reptile carpet. I'm feeling he wants to dig so I was thinking making him a dig box. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions on what substrate to use for that?
Shaun78
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: I Think Someone Needs a Dig Box

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:54 am

Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it. I recommend using soft cut up fleece or strips of paper towels - you wont run the risk of them getting the sand in the eyes and causing infection - that is what I use for Blaze and Hiccup its in their hides
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Skylarson222 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:11 pm

I made my beardies dig box out of crushed walnut shells, which you can buy at almost any pet store in the reptile section. I filled a large cardboard box with the crushed walnuts (it’s like a sand consistency) and she did her thing... Laid a few eggs!!
Skylarson222
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:06 am

Crushed walnut shells are toxic to dragons-- please remove them --
Crushed walnut shell is dangerous and should only be used to clean up oil spills. This substrate is NOT digestable and if too much of it is eaten it will cause impaction. I have seen this occur first hand with reptiles ranging from lizards to tortoises. Stay away from this product please.
This is on the Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby loljelloclowdz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Skylarson222 wrote:I made my beardies dig box out of crushed walnut shells, which you can buy at almost any pet store in the reptile section. I filled a large cardboard box with the crushed walnuts (it’s like a sand consistency) and she did her thing... Laid a few eggs!!

Bruh don’t ever use walnut shells.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion