Beardie ate wild bugs AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

Not even a week after my beardie scared the life out of me and ate a wasp, I had him outside and he snatched up a dead cicada. While looking up if cicadas were ok for them he snatched up ANOTHER bug, which I couldn’t identify. I can’t believe this... I couldn’t even see the bugs before he got them. Should he be ok? I’m worried because the last bug he ate I couldn’t identify. What’s the worst possible scenario? Should I give him anything in case what he ate was poisionous? He ate the wasp and had no problems afterwards. (He’s 1 1/2yo)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oy, these guys can be a pain (to us) sometimes when they're outside. Hard to say for sure without identifying the bug, but it isn't likely to be an issue if it wasn't something super toxic like a lightning bug. It's probably a good idea to keep activated charcoal on hand. I administer a little if my guy eats something suspicious outside (only had to use it twice in 5 years). These kits are very handy because the measurements are all laid out for you https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Emergency Charcoal Kit

Cynesta

Original Poster
CooperDragon":zf4tozn4 said:
Oy, these guys can be a pain (to us) sometimes when they're outside. Hard to say for sure without identifying the bug, but it isn't likely to be an issue if it wasn't something super toxic like a lightning bug. It's probably a good idea to keep activated charcoal on hand. I administer a little if my guy eats something suspicious outside (only had to use it twice in 5 years). These kits are very handy because the measurements are all laid out for you https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Emergency Charcoal Kit

I have a beardie emergency kit with charcoal. What signs should I look out for in case he ate a lightning bug? Dark beard? Sunken eyes? I believe it might’ve been another wasp, but I’m not entirely sure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK great. Usually you want to administer the charcoal as soon as possible. Mixed in mild amounts I haven't seen it show any ill effects. The idea is to have it absorb toxin before it enters their system and causes symptoms. Symptoms of toxin ingestion could include what you mentioned with dark black beard, sunken eyes, lethargic behavior, possibly vomit or diarrhea. From what I've seen, if no reaction is shown within the first few hours they are OK.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie does this too! I posted a while back about him snatching a monarch butterfly out from under my nose. It didn't cause him to get sick, but thankfully they are big and bright enough I can see them and get between him and it. He has grabbed crickets and cicadas on our daily walks too. I wish he wouldn't but his instincts seem to have a louder voice than mine. :banghead:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Them country fellers want to go hunting and you can't stop it. Let them hunt ! :lol:
Cicadas are very nutritious BTW. But definitely watch for toxic lightning bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom