Webcam for Watching Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
A while ago, someone spoke highly of a camera they have pointed at their dragon tank so they can log in and watch their dragon from work. I forgot what the name of it was, and would like to set up a camera so my students can log in and see Figment - he's going to be our Virtual Class Pet this year, since live animals are prohibited this year (and possibly into the future). Can someone remind me what type of camera to get?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are a lot of good options. Something small that fits in the enclosure or right next to it easily is probably a good bet. If you don't want to set up your own camera server (more secure) then I'd go with a known brand like Nest or Wyze. I have an amcrest camera in Darwin's enclosure that is isolated from the internet and connected to a Blue Iris server which adds a layer of protection (at the expense of simplicity). Either way you go, be sure to change the default passwords that come with it to protect your network against attack and set a non-administrative account for people to watch from.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2wipxukj said:
There are a lot of good options. Something small that fits in the enclosure or right next to it easily is probably a good bet. If you don't want to set up your own camera server (more secure) then I'd go with a known brand like Nest or Wyze. I have an amcrest camera in Darwin's enclosure that is isolated from the internet and connected to a Blue Iris server which adds a layer of protection (at the expense of simplicity). Either way you go, be sure to change the default passwords that come with it to protect your network against attack and set a non-administrative account for people to watch from.

Hoo boy... I didn’t even think of network security! Is it hard to set up a camera server? I don’t want to expose my network to hackers... yeesh. This may be less simple than I thought!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not too hard to set up a camera server, however network security and server configurations are part of my job so I look at it from that perspective. If you aren't familiar with it, then your best bet is to just go with a known brand like nest. Your camera will connect to a server over the internet that others can access to view your feed (which is what you're looking for in this case). Just be sure to change the default passwords and create a guest account and you should be in good shape.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1215jyec said:
It's not too hard to set up a camera server, however network security and server configurations are part of my job so I look at it from that perspective. If you aren't familiar with it, then your best bet is to just go with a known brand like nest. Your camera will connect to a server over the internet that others can access to view your feed (which is what you're looking for in this case). Just be sure to change the default passwords and create a guest account and you should be in good shape.

Okay, sounds good to me. I shot off an e-mail to my very techy brother-in-law, too, so he can weigh in on this - but I'll probably go with Wyze, because Consumer Reports gave them a good review. Thanks for the clarification!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. That's probably the best way to go.

For reference, if he can help you set it up - I use an Amcrest webcam that is set to a static IP and all inbound and outbound traffic to it is blocked by my firewall. I have a Blue Iris server configured on the network and that connects to the camera and handles recording and broadcasting. I configure limited access to the server via non standard accounts set up and it broadcasts a webpage on a non-standard port. In this scenario you would give your students a link and limited server account to use (preferrably using a dynamic dns name or domain name instead of an IP) to access that webpage to view the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom