Beardie query... Will they starve themselves.. Battle of wil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splreece

109077-8910509105.jpg
Morning all...

I have a new 10wk old.. And trying moving her from hand feed to bowl.. (clear glass as the terrarium ones let roaches climb out).

My question is... How head strong are beardies... Will she starve herself just to get hand fed... The only reason I started with hand feeding is that she wasn't eating and had 2 sheds.. So was really unhappy for 2 weeks.... She's settling now and seems to enjoy dubias... Won't eat crickets or locusts... Soooo.. Now am trying to get her to eat via bowl so I don't drop any or lose them in the Viv...

Any pointers greatly appreciated..

Ohh and all temps and humidity are within range... And am feeding 3x per day (2 hrs after basking switches on...onve at 13noon and 2 hrs before switch off).

Tried a plastic feeding bin where she can run outside the viv and she won't eat from there either

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try this bowl • https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Start using small super worms and BSFL and butter worms to lure her to the bowl of salads- feed first thing in the morning make sure you add the worms in front of her to get her attention -- you can get these from www.mulberryfarms.com use as many BSFL as you want they are a good staple feeder - No she wont starve herself --- let her eat from the bowl for like a hr then add your staple feeder dubias work the best --- w/ the salads and worms and roaches she will have a good diet - the horn worms are good to but she is pretty small and you would need small horn worms they grow really fast so I would hold off on those for now
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When they are healthy, they are not likely to starve themselves. They will eventually hunt down the food that is available. She looks healthy based on the photo. Since she is still pretty young, I wouldn't let her go more than a day or two without food though. If it comes down to hand feeding for now, that is OK. Hand feeding can help build a bond with them. You can also try taking her out of the enclosure for meals and offer the bugs in an area that is easy for you to control and recover them if she doesn't catch the bugs quickly. Offering bugs in small batches at a time also helps to reduce escapees.

Splreece

Original Poster
KarrieRee":199hhdz5 said:
Try this bowl • https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Start using small super worms and BSFL and butter worms to lure her to the bowl of salads- feed first thing in the morning make sure you add the worms in front of her to get her attention -- you can get these from http://www.mulberryfarms.com use as many BSFL as you want they are a good staple feeder - No she wont starve herself --- let her eat from the bowl for like a hr then add your staple feeder dubias work the best --- w/ the salads and worms and roaches she will have a good diet - the horn worms are good to but she is pretty small and you would need small horn worms they grow really fast so I would hold off on those for now
Karrie

Thanks Karrie.. Yeah I got a glass bowl similar to those.. But may get a reptile specific one... I will try the bsfl idea definitely and maybe bribe with the worms.....

Does first thing in morning mean when the lights switch on or 2 hrs after when temp is up to scratch

Splreece

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2dnwulq7 said:
When they are healthy, they are not likely to starve themselves. They will eventually hunt down the food that is available. She looks healthy based on the photo. Since she is still pretty young, I wouldn't let her go more than a day or two without food though. If it comes down to hand feeding for now, that is OK. Hand feeding can help build a bond with them. You can also try taking her out of the enclosure for meals and offer the bugs in an area that is easy for you to control and recover them if she doesn't catch the bugs quickly. Offering bugs in small batches at a time also helps to reduce escapees.

Thanks very much she loves a good bath and wander but won't eat from a container so next try is on a table outside the viv maybe... Will give it a go definitely

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes let her warm up for an HR or so- try handfeeding the BSFL and other worms- the butter worms work good--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom