Baby or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m planning on getting another bearded dragon, but I’m not sure what age is best. When I got my first two, I specifically looked for juveniles, as I’d read online that they were easier to look after in terms of diet and care.

However, I rehomed my first two dragons, and whilst the first was luckily fine, the second had a whole host of health problems. Her previous owners told us that she had a clean bill of health, but she suffered from tail rot and had to have the tip of her tail removed, multiple deficiencies, and eventually died because she was egg bound. Because of this, I decided to visit a few reptile shops in my area to have a look at their beardies instead. However, most pet shops don’t sell juveniles and only have one or two adults for sale. I originally wasn’t keen about a baby because of the reasons mentioned above, but one of the shop owners showed me how easy they are to handle and said they’re not much different from older dragons, and they grow very quickly, so now I’m not sure.

Does anybody have any advice on taking care of baby dragons, and how easy/difficult it is to look after them?

Edit: I’m aware that pet shops don’t always have a clean bill of health for their animals either, I just thought it was a safer bet overall. Because of what happened with Mazikeen, I really want to make sure I’m making the best decision. I especially don’t want to rush into anything that I can’t handle.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You pick the most active --- alert -- I look at people getting them from pet stores especially experienced people rescuing the dragon - they know how to take care of them - I feel bad for dragons going home w/ people so unexperienced and not knowing a thing about them and worst of all listening to the pet store people :( -- you have us as back up for taking care of the little one - they are not that hard to take care of - all you need is the correct basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and good UVB - I am sure you know all that --- feeding is not hard as well - give them a variety diet of staple feeder salads etc............. best of all you know pretty much the health of the dragon when getting them so young -there is always the risk of getting one w/ a health issue or genetics but that is the risk -- thats why I said get one that is active and alert
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom