Stubborn man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alb0w

Is it possible that a bearded dragon would stop eating after a substrate change? I had been using alfalfa pellets for Peapod's entire life, then switched briefly to carpet before purchasing some tile. Around the time of the substrate switch, he stopped eating. I originally had attributed it to pinworm, which he has recently tested negative for. I have been syringe feeding him for weeks! Peapod is 2 and a very happy, active, and strange little lad. His older sister Olaf is 7 and had zero qualms with her substrate being changed. Peapod is far more picky than Olaf is though. I'm just confused at this point, as I do not know what else could be stopping him from eating. :( Will likely call vet soon to see what she thinks.
Edit: I switched the substrate back in late April or early May.

LeoA

That does seem a very long time for adjustment. Have you checked whether Peapod has an issue with his nails / fingers? The change from a loose to a hard substrate would bring out any pre-existing conditions due to the increased pressure. Feel around the nails, see if any make him flinch.

Another thing to try could be to use a small amount of loose substrate on top of the tiles just as a transition for a few weeks.

Lastly, what kind of tile is it? They prefer the more 'rough' feeling ones rather than the ultra-smooth ones you'd see on a bathroom wall.

alb0w

Original Poster
His nails have been okay and the tile is rough. Other than the not eating, his behavior is totally normal. I'm just grasping for any possibilities at this point. Poor lil guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom