Salmonella, need reassurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poisonouspanic

Is anyone else terrified of getting salmonella from their beardie?? (I have bad health anxiety) I don't know how rare it is, but I tried to look it up and all of the articles are seriously scary.

I just cleaned up my beardie's waste (using gloves) but the chalky white part was stuck on his rock, so I used water to get it off/loosen it up, and the smell came at me hard. Im terrified I'm gonna get sick now because I might have inhaled some salmonella particles or something. ? Can someone give me some reassurance of this happening to them and it turning out fine, or just some general reassurance I'm hopefully gonna be okay??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, don't worry about inhaling particles. If that were possible all b.d owners would have become sick many times over. I've raised loads of beardies when I was breeding them, I've cleaned 10's of 1,000's of messes and I do nothing more than wash my hands afterwards. Just use common sense, don't let beardie crawl on eating surfaces oor directly on your pillow [ even that would pose only a very small risk ] and you will be fine.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed with AHBD. :)

I've had dragons for over 20 years and haven't got sick with it. And if I have, it's been so mild I didnt even know. Many salmonella cases go undiagnosed because the symptoms dont always warrant getting checked for it in the first place.

-Brandon

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie is my education animal at the library. I always encourage kids to pet him gently and I always have hand sanitizer available for them afterwards. Personally I think if I'm going to catch a disease, it will be from the roaches I raise to feed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom