The Power Outage Continues - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
On Wednesday I posted about our power being out due to a tropical storm hitting our state hard. At the time, we thought power would be back up by Friday. It wasn't. The power company is now saying TUESDAY - a full week after power went out. Here is what happened since my last post.

After getting advice from this forum, I packed up Figment and my son Wednesday night and fled to my parents' house three hours away. I wasn't able to bring Figment's 40 BR hab; I have a bad back, and it's more than my son and I can carry. I put him in the storage tub I use to bathe him and brought his 100 w basking lamp. I decided to handle UV by getting him outside for a couple hours a day. It turned out that the 100w made the container way too hot, so I got a 60w incandescent from my day and that moderated things... not hot enough (low to mid 80s) but it was something. On Thursday he got a couple hours in the sun. On Friday we left for home, thinking the power was back on (it had come back on when I spoke to my husband).

When we got home, the power was off again and we were told Tuesday is the estimated date of return. This leaves me in a bind for multiple reasons:

1) We are leaving for vacation tomorrow (Sunday). We have a sitter coming by daily to take care of Figment, my cat, and my fish. She has a bearded dragon herself and says that she will get Figment out in the sun for a bit and feed him - but we have no way to keep his greens fresh without power, and I'm worried about his digestion with no basking spot.

2) Figment, as I expected, went off his feed after relocating to my parents' house. He has not eaten since Monday afternoon.

I don't know how four more days of not eating and limited basking will affect Figment. My vet says to bring him down and they will board him for $25 a day, but I'd have to find a way to move his hab there and my husband and son are away today. I have no friends in the area I can call on for help - they are either away, working, or disabled.

Please help me figure out what to do. My options are to buy a larger storage tub that could accommodate the full strength basking lamp, rig his UV to it, and take him to the vet... or get him in the sun for a few hours today and hope he'll be okay with the sitter for three days until the power hopefully comes back.

I'm honestly torn. I'm not sure I can find a storage tub of the right dimensions- I don't have a stand for the lamp, so I need something I can put the screen lid of his tank across. I know our sitter well, and know she'll do her best to keep Figment well, but with the power out for a week now, I feel anxious.

Figment is a year old, 16.5" long and a healthy weight (562 g) and in fairly good health - stools runny, but he's got a vet appointment right after we get back from vacation.

Please advise.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What size tank is Figment in? A 40 gallon? I guess I would get a 40 gallon storage tote take the screen off his tank and take him to the vet along w/ all the his husbandry stuff - the screen you have for your tank should accommodate the storage tote - even if you haft to jimmy it to fit it -- make sure you have your digital probe and different wattage size bulbs so you can get proper temps- I would get this today so you can get it set up before you leave and get a run on temps ect ---
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok... got the tub, though it’s shorter than his tank so I’m not sure what it will do for his heating gradient. The vet, however, is now without power. I am so frustrated I could cry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Work w/ it--- he may haft to go w/out a heat gradient- just make sure you have different wattage bulbs--- post a pic if the tote and your decor pieces and see if we can give you some ideas
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I’m almost out of charge on my phone, and I am trying to find a backup to this backup... will take pics when situation is settled!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay - Figment is safely are the vet, and wonder of wonders, they actually dig up a 40BR tank for him to use - so my boy has his uvb, basking spot, and all his furnishings. Plus they’ll cut his nails and do his scheduled checkup while he’s there. All’s well that ends well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom