Crisis Averted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I was a bit late getting to the library this morning, so of course there was an concern with Charlie. The administrative assistant is a beardie grandmother so she likes to peak in on Charlie every morning when she gets to work. She almost had a heart attack when she realized his lights weren't on and his Hot Side temp was only 66 F!

Thankfully, she swaddled Charlie up until the maintenance man could get the lights working. I replaced the entire fixture and timer. And during staff meeting told everyone not to hesitate to call me if there was an issue with Charlie during my off hours. I made a basic care guide for them and even color coded his lights and their switches to make it less likely that one will accidentally be turned off.

I'd be lost of this little guy got sick or died because of me. I might have spoiled him with some dubias this morning, just to brighten his day.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're a good doting beardie mom already. :) That temp. was pretty cool but not a problem for a healthy beardie, still it's more comfortable for them at around 70 at night.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That was really nice of your administrator to baby Charlie for you until they got the
lights on. LOL Very sweet. Luckily it wasn't wintertime, but like AHBD said, 66 is not
bad!

Tracie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm thankful it happened in August as opposed to December. This building will definitely be cold then. It was eye opening because I truly am the only staff member that understands his needs. The administrative assistant's daughter has a beardie at home, so she checks in on him and is the only other one here with more than a passing interest in him. This has forced me to put all of his information and needs into writing and it's helped me to quit procrastinating. I've been meaning to color code his light/heat system for awhile -- a "helpful" coworker was messing with his cords one evening because she didn't realize the heat coil doesn't give off light. Thankfully she didn't turn it off and leave it that way while I was gone over the weekend.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
That's really awesome you have that backup. I know they are pricey but ever thought about a thermostat to control his heat? I just got one and it's taken a lot of worry off of me about over/under heating.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A computer battery backup can help protect against surges and brief outages. Good to have in our neck of the woods. Storm barreling across Iowa as I write this and the sirens just went off.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm your neighbor in South Dakota. We don't seem to get a lot of outages here in the summer, it seems more likely with winter storms. I'll have to look into a thermostat, it would certainly reduce my stress on my time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom