New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 am

If its yellow on the ends of the urate that would be calcium--- so it sounds like hes coming around and doing better --- keep working w/ the salads - and its good hes pooping it will slow down so dont be alarmed -- as they get older they tend to poop less --- as long as hes eating and basking he will poop -- unless you feed him something to big for him to pass which we dont want you to do like insects too big is usually the issue -- rule of thumb only feed the size between the eyes length wise--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 am

Got it.

He does a violent twitch of his head when I offer him the dandelion leaves. He really does not want to eat those greens. He seems to be okay with fruit so far though. We gave him a bit of papaya. The next thing to try will be squash. Still looking for Endives and Escarole and Mustard Greens. Do they happen to go by other names? :? I am sticking with the cheaper stuff til he gets more used to it though. Also tried some apple but he didnt care for it either. He is just a 2 month old baby (aged him by length) though so maybe that will have the influence on what he prefers. Although videos on youtube have all the cute little babies chewing on greens and apple slices.
erodred
Hatchling Poster

Postby erodred » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 am

So I got a container with about 3 mature black soldier flies. Sort of spooked me in the morning. But I am wondering if its safe to give to my baby? I feel like they will have too had of a shell right now for him. But I also feel like he would love chasing them. They do fly in the air though right which means he wont be able to get them?
erodred
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:08 am

Yes he can eat them take the wings off of them and let him chase them :lol: Try collard greens and turnip greens they are not expensive --- fruit is occasional -- a lot of sugar they dont need
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby erodred » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:20 am

Would the adult flies need to be dusted with calcium?

I sort of just threw them in their plain to see if he would even go for them.

They buzz quite a bit. Seems I am more keen on handling crickets and worms than flies... haha.
erodred
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:36 am

They usually take weeks to turn to flies so they must of been older when sent --- you can keep them on the door of your fridge that will make them go dormant take them out about 10 minutes before feeding and then they are moving -- and no dont dust them ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby erodred » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:37 am

KarrieRee wrote:They usually take weeks to turn to flies so they must of been older when sent --- you can keep them on the door of your fridge that will make them go dormant take them out about 10 minutes before feeding and then they are moving -- and no dont dust them ---
Karrie

Thank you for the tip!
erodred
Hatchling Poster

Postby erodred » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

A new update.

He is eating a lot now. Much more regularly. We try and offer a mixed diet of crickets and phoenix worms everyday so he won't get bored with his meals. I am presently dusting the crickets with multivitamin for two mornings of the week. I also will dust them with the Calcium w/D3 two mornings during the week as well to aid his calcium intake since I know the phoenix worms are already giving him some calcium. Both of the supplements are Rep-cal brand.

I have won a victory with a chunk of apple, some papaya and the past two days, he has eaten kale. Still no luck with dandelion green.

He will not eat it when dropped in the bowl, but he will eat it when we wave it in front of his face. He will take two bites and then refuse with an aggressive head twitch. I feel like he is slowly starting to relax. I am also taking him out of the tank to run around my desk with supervision to stretch his legs and explore. He likes to sit on my lap while I work as well it seems or climb up to my shoulders. I will admit I am afraid of him sitting there because I am afraid of him jumping off or falling off and hurting himself.
erodred
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm

If he is on your shoulder make sure your hand is over his back --- he will do a superman and fly off your shoulder -- I am glad to hear he is eating more -- the more he adjust the more he will eat -- sounds like he is a dragon that doesnt like dandelion greens -- I would try some other greens like collard and turnip -- but at least you have him eating some you can also try yellow and zucchini squash as well --- different stuff in your fridge - gr pepper red pepper once in awhile celery once in awhile -- basil - cilantro -- it is trial and error w/ stuff to see what they like --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to General Discussion