Rescued MBD Beardie

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby rubymiss » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 am

I need suggestion!!
I just rescue LuLu on craiglist , very skinny and weak 4 yo girl who always keep in small tank, she can’t stand , grab, and climb, she can only craw on the ground like snake, she doesn’t move a lot. One nostril and ear doesn’t opened completely (look very small) . Fortunately she eat good and poop everyday, I send poop sample to lab already and no parasite. She has no soft jaw. But I notice that her upper jaw is shorter and some nails are crooked in weird way. I don’t know is that MBD? Does anyone has same experience about caring beardie like this or seen the same symptoms like mines please share with me, Vet appt is next week. But I still need you guys suggestion! Thanks all. I really want to give her better life. <I cant upload pic even its only a 1.4MB JPG :(>
rubymiss
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 am

Click on this link https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post---
Once we see the pics of her and the tank and lighting we can better help you -- that is very important for her health - please tell us what your using for her UVB and basking temps etc -- brand and bulb of the UVB NO COILS -- they are no good --- what are her basking temps and how are your taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- digital probe thermometers are the best along w/ infrared heat guns--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby rubymiss » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 am

Hi Karrie
Thanks for the link , I tried to upload pics but still couldnt make it, it stopped at 13% uploading rate and never go again . so i make a video include LuLu's pic and her enclosure on youtube as llink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uanrx_tTEqU
Its her new enclosure(119cm length 58.4 deep 43hight), she just move in couple days . UVB is ZOO MED Reptisun 10.0 uvb , its 38cm(15'') from reptile. Heat lamp is 25.4cm(10'') from reptile ,basking spot temperature is 43C(110F) , cool side is 25.5C(78F). the thermometer is stick on, but I will go get a digital probe soon. except that I normally use thermo gun. I am giving her physical therapy trying to rotate her arms legs and massage her muscle, hope it help her to move. Thanks. Rubymiss
rubymiss
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 am

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:04 am

Poor baby --- the UVB needs a reflector -- I see no reflector on the fixture meaning she is not getting any UVB --- here is a website for a reflector she must have one or drop that fixture down to 4-6 inches from a piece of decor -- - the better the UVB the better she will be and getting her out into the sun is good just make sure those rocks you have her on are not hot - you dont want to burn her belly--- the basking spot could be 95-110 -- I would try and get her a piece of decor that will offer her a gradient heat -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 I know you dont have petsmart but it gives you an idea of what could be used in the tank for her - she can lay on it sit or stand against--
www.https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... eflectors/
getting one of these is crucial order or get a new fixture w/ a reflector but she must have one of these
that is a MUST-- the reflector intensifies the UVB rays --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby WinFam01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am

How wonderful that you decided to take Lulu in and give her a better life!
I don't have any experience with mbd and only got my first dragon a few months ago, so I don't really have advice to offer.
But I do want to offer support - I am so glad you came to this community!
It's great that she is eating well! What are you feeding her? Are you using a calcium supplement?
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
User avatar
WinFam01
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm
Location: West MI
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby rubymiss » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 am

KarrieRee wrote:Poor baby --- the UVB needs a reflector -- I see no reflector on the fixture meaning she is not getting any UVB --- here is a website for a reflector she must have one or drop that fixture down to 4-6 inches from a piece of decor -- - the better the UVB the better she will be and getting her out into the sun is good just make sure those rocks you have her on are not hot - you dont want to burn her belly--- the basking spot could be 95-110 -- I would try and get her a piece of decor that will offer her a gradient heat -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 I know you dont have petsmart but it gives you an idea of what could be used in the tank for her - she can lay on it sit or stand against--
www.https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... eflectors/
getting one of these is crucial order or get a new fixture w/ a reflector but she must have one of these
that is a MUST-- the reflector intensifies the UVB rays --
Karrie

Thanks , I will change a fixure with reflector , she need a lot of uvb! And I will remove that rock put a decor on.I forgot to ask that do I need to overlap uvb and heat lamp, I mean move uvb more to the right close to heat lamp so when LuLu is basking she can have uvb the same time? Thanks
Last edited by rubymiss on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubymiss
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 am

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby rubymiss » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am

rubymiss wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:Poor baby --- the UVB needs a reflector -- I see no reflector on the fixture meaning she is not getting any UVB --- here is a website for a reflector she must have one or drop that fixture down to 4-6 inches from a piece of decor -- - the better the UVB the better she will be and getting her out into the sun is good just make sure those rocks you have her on are not hot - you dont want to burn her belly--- the basking spot could be 95-110 -- I would try and get her a piece of decor that will offer her a gradient heat -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habita ... gid=500116 I know you dont have petsmart but it gives you an idea of what could be used in the tank for her - she can lay on it sit or stand against--
www.https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... eflectors/
getting one of these is crucial order or get a new fixture w/ a reflector but she must have one of these
that is a MUST-- the reflector intensifies the UVB rays --
Karrie

Thanks , I will change a fixure with reflector , she need a lot of uvb! And I will remove that rock put a decor on.I forgot to ask that do I need to overlap uvb and heat lamp, I mean move uvb more to the right close to heat lamp so when LuLu is basking she can have uvb the same time? Thanks
rubymiss
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 am

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby rubymiss » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:12 am

WinFam01 wrote:How wonderful that you decided to take Lulu in and give her a better life!
I don't have any experience with mbd and only got my first dragon a few months ago, so I don't really have advice to offer.
But I do want to offer support - I am so glad you came to this community!
It's great that she is eating well! What are you feeding her? Are you using a calcium supplement?

Hi WinFam01
Thanks, I am happy to rescue her,cuz she was badly neglected! She is weak now but eat dubia roach and calcium liquid..I hope.she can stand up and walk again! Ruby
rubymiss
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:18 am

Re: Rescued MBD Beardie

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 am

It is optimal to have the UVB and basking together but not necessary- for her I would try and get them together-- I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector if your changing it out and go w / a Arcadia 12% bulb they have D3 and put it inside your tank 12-15 inches from her decor piece-
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users