Confused about my beardie’s sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
108221-9866792890.jpg
So based on things I have seen online, I came to the conclusion that my beardie, Drogon, is a male. However, the vet at VCA said Drogon’s a female??? She said that he didn’t have femoral pores but I think I do see them. Not sure what to think. I attached an image to see if someone can help.

Lately he’s been digging a bit but because I thought he was a male, I didn’t think it would be necessary to get him a lay box.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes a male and pathetic that the vet didnt know if it was a male or female -- I would advise you find a different vet
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like the others said, this is a VERY obvious male. The 2 large lumps above his vent are a definite indicator. He does have femoral pores, they're not very large but not all males have large pores and they can become more prominent as they get older.

Drogonthebeardie1

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I’m glad to know I was right. Kinda sad that a professional couldn’t tell.

On another note, should I be concerned about his “digging”? I had him examined at VCA and he is mostly healthy, just a little underweight and slightly dehydrated. I have adjusted his diet and am soaking him twice a week. I’m also giving him water through a syringe in mouth because he doesn’t drink water otherwise.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I have had the same issues! I recently adopted Charlie, a beardie who turned two in June. The previous owner said a vet had told her that Charlie was a female, but there was some doubt. I watched videos and read articles and I'm pretty sure Charlie is a male, based on his hemipenis. Then yesterday I read about the femoral ducts and that article said that not all males have them, but absolutely no females have them. Charlie has them so I'm sticking with my assessment.

The sad thing is, the vet who couldn't tell the difference is the only exotics vet in the area (rural midwestern town.) I hope to never need her services.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
All male beardies have them , some are more pronounced than others. Females have them too but they are usually so tiny that you don't notice them. If you have any doubt about your dragon you can start a thread + post a few pics if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom