Different color outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

106350-5679401299.jpg
My 1yr old beardie changes color in the natural sunlight. In his tank he’s on the darker side but under the sun he’s nice and light with beautiful yellows and oranges. Does this mean he’s not getting the proper UVB in tank? I have T5 10.0 HO and he is within 6-8” of it without screen.
106350-9895307179.jpg

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
They actually change colors to camouflage (though they aren’t great at it). They can also change colors to absorb more heat/uvb or to encourage it to reflect off of their skin when they have reached their limits.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can also change color according to mood, it's exciting/stimulating and at times even stressful to be outside so that all factors in. And the excellent uvb rays always bring out their best color. :)

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Wow, that is a big difference. Kind of surprises me too, because I thought they turn darker in the sun soaking up all that uvb.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They may turn dark out in the sun if it's cool outside , that helps them absorb more heat. If it's optimal temp. they can be at their best color [ bright orange, yellow, red and tiger barred dragons ]

WinFam01

Juvie Member
AHBD":xj3cgq14 said:
They may turn dark out in the sun if it's cool outside , that helps them absorb more heat. If it's optimal temp. they can be at their best color [ bright orange, yellow, red and tiger barred dragons ]
Interesting! Is optimal temp like 95+ like basking spots?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
WinFam01":30uoj6h8 said:
AHBD":30uoj6h8 said:
Interesting! Is optimal temp like 95+ like basking spots?

Optimal temp for their brightest colors isn't quite the same as basking for digestion. The high basking temps is for the digestion and properly breaking down food. While in an enclosure with the UVB lights that is generally when they will lighten up the most, but in natural sunlight it can happen as much or more in lower temps because the sun provides more effective UVB than any bulb could. Even with effective ranges we are really providing the total UVB for the day over many hours whereas in the wild they may only bask parts of the day for what they need and then be in shade where its still warm but not in direct sunlight. As an example about 15 minutes or so of true sunlight is as effective as several hours of a UVB bulb. Also even beardies that are bright colored inside will show their colors better in a more natural light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom