new baby beardie stoped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am a first time bearded dragon owner and I just got a baby beardie 5 days ago, he had been eating great the first few days but yesterday he didn't have much of an appetite and only ate once and today he hasn't wanted to eat yet, the past owner said he was abut 4-6 mounths old. Is this normal for a beardie that is getting used to a new place? His is currently shedding so I am giving him daily warm baths, could this be causing something?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Some relocation stress is normal which can lessen eating, as can shedding. But it should not stop completely. Some things to go over are temps and lighting. You should have a basking spot around 110F for young ones to bask and digest food. You also need good UVB not the coiled household looking bulbs but a long tube that's about half the length of the enclosure. The distance from UVB to basking spot differs by the strength of UVB bulb. Cool side should be around 80F slightly lower can be ok.

SO what do you have for UVB (coil? T8? T5? etc reptisun 5.0? 10.0? arcadia %?) and temps for basking hot side and cool side. Also make sure temps don't drop below 65F at night a little higher if possible.

froggyfrogo

Original Poster
for uvb I have a t8 repti zoo tube light and the basking side temps get up too 110, right now it is 102.4 and the cool side is 82.4 and at night the temps stay at around 80

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Ok so your tempssound good.

For the Reptisun T8 (same with T5) they come with a 5.0 bulb in them 99% of the time. The T8 5.0 will have a very short effective distance and should be swapped out for a 10.0 if it hasn't been done already.

Is your UVB above a screen or hung inside the enclosure?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I don't have personal experience with that brand but it lists as if it is identical to the reptisun model for 18" as far as wattage and UVB output which is a recommended brand. Someone who has experience with the brand you have might be able to jump in.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/bulbs-and-lamps/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-reptile-lamp-14822.html

If it has a reflector on the fixture make sure its within about 8 inches - if there is no reflector you would want to be about 6 inches away with it.

UVB is one of the biggest causes of problems such as no appetite, but how has behavior been. Is he basking normally and regular with pooping and such? Hiding away or stress marks?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure of the Repti Zoo - I am sure its fine - the best on the market at this time are the Reptisun 10.0 T 8- distance for the T 8 should be 6-8 inches from basking decor piece w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb - your bulb needs to be exposed - when replacing the bulb in 6 months from when you installed it I would go w/ the Reptisun -- and as stated before he will go thru relocation stress - but he should not quit eating all together -- his shedding will effect his appetite as well -- if you can your nite time temps should be in the 70's -- 80 is a little warm -- fine for daytime cool side -- Are you feeding salads as well as insects? He needs salads offered to him first thing in the morning ---you want him on salads now at least a little - his main diet is protein but you still want him eating some -- it will be a easier transition when he goes from insects 2-3 times per week and not every day -- his diet now should be 80% insects w/ 20% veggies -- if you need help on getting him to eat those veggies I can give some pointers -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie

froggyfrogo

Original Poster
When I first got him he would explore his tank and he seemed very curious but today he has mostly just been laying on a branch. He has been pooping fine and hasn't been hiding, I have been offering him salad but he hasn't been eating it either, my night temps are a little high because my house is rlly hot and we don't have ac

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
To get him to eat his salads you need a glass or ceramic bowl one that insects and worms cannot get out of-- and order some of these BSFL also known as calci worms nutri grubs or phoenix worms they are a great staple feeder do not dust order large and feed as many as you want- they are a nice compliment to what your feeding as a staple -- add these to the salad make sure he sees you do this - first thing in the morning after he warms up-- you can also order some butter worms and some super worms-- only use a few of the worms - like 1 super 1 horn worm and 2 butter worms all adding to the salad bowl in front of him that movement will entice him to the bowl --- after he eats from the bowl for like an hr or so then remove little of the salad not all of it you want him eating some of that salad too -- and add your staple feeder if feeding crickets disable them by pulling a leg or two off --- roaches work the best -- you can order all these worms from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com
Silk worms are another great staple feeder and will work good for luring to the bowl too - you can get them from here http://www.reptilianarts.com if you order in bulk like 50 they come small and you will need to feed so make sure you order food too-- and clean containers out daily--- you can also order from here http://www.coastilsilkworms.com try that and see how it works for you --I forgot to say horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow really fast so order small amounts - they will come small when you order medium
Happy Shopping
Karrie

froggyfrogo

Original Poster
Thank you for all the suggestions, im going to buy a stronger uvb light and if that doesn't help ill be taking him to the vet, im still open to more suggestions though thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your uvb fixture has a reflector correct? I would lay off the bathing and offer water by misting or dropping water on his nose- the bathing is also causing stress - he needs time to adjust to his surroundings-- let him get used to your hands in the tank hand feed him and you can place a piece of clothing or something soft like a fleece blanket in his hide w/ your scent on it--- let us know what you get for the UVB and we can help answer any questions and place it
Karrie

froggyfrogo

Original Poster
No reflector and im planning on getting a reptisun 10.0 as recommended, and how often would you recommend baths?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so no reflector UVB needs to be 4-6 inches directly above him-- w/ a reflector would be best it maximizes the UVB Ray's for better effect-- this would cause him not to eat-- baths are only recommended if they will only drink from a bath or have pooped all over themselves- or are severely dehydrated
Karrie

froggyfrogo

Original Poster
Ok update hes still not eating but I went out and bought a zoo med reptisun and he is so much more active! He is actually basking again and exploring his enclosure. Hopefully he will start eating soon but im just glad he seems to feel better:) also avoid repti zoo uvb, either I got a faulty one or it was just terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom