Laying in Water Dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Hey gang quick question. Woke up this morning to find Mr. Pickles curled up in his water dish. Turned his lights on and when I picked him up out of the dish he was stone cold. Has anyone else had this experience? He's never done that before. I patted him dry with a towel and then put him in his basking area to warm up. My concern was how cold to the touch he was but he seems alert and fine when I picked him up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say that is not good -- I would not leave the water dish in the tank anymore -- what is the temp in the tank over nite -- if its too hot this could be a reason why he was in it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so thats not good - temps should be around 65 but you can probably get away w/ 63--- I would not leave the water dish in over nite --- what about his behavior ? is he eating? pooping? basking?
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah all other behavior has been normal. He's getting and pooping as normal. Basking seems normal as well. Maybe I'll just take his water dish out at night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would you dont want him sick --- or drowned -- I do not know why he would be sleeping in it -- does he have a hide in his tank ?
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I have 1 of my six that likes to lay in the water bowl sometimes too, but not at night just for a short time during the day especially when I add clean water. I don't worry so much as it is a short time and she then usually eats some salad and basks right afterward. But even with the cool side during the day around 80 if I am to pick her up from there she does feel cool and same can be said if she has just been sitting on the cool side of the enclosure even out of the water. Just as an example of why I am going into this if you were to use a temp gun and see the surface is 70F, it will feel quite cool to the touch for us, meaning that it is ok if they want to be cooler sometimes as long as its within a good range.

With that said, I would agree that is would be safest to take it out at night for safety for two reasons. One obviously while sleeping you wouldn't want their body to slide down in the water while sleeping for obvious reasons. Two is that while the water technically should equalize to the cool side temps it will be slower than air to warm up in the morning (opposite at night when lights go off).

My suspicion would be that the water was maintaining the temperature from when the lights were on in the enclosure longer after the lights were turned off than the surrounding air (water would be slower to cool than air at this point) and he was using that to try and retain his heat longer.

If you don't have a ceramic heat emitter I would consider adding a small one. It shouldn't be maintaining daytime temps of course, but just a few degrees warmer at night would be beneficial. I aim to have things a stay a little over 65 just in case there is an extra cool night or something I have a safety buffer.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't know if he's sleeping in it but he is in it and awake when I get up in the morning. I fell asleep early last night (worked 14hrs shift) and when I got up this morning he was in it again. Temp in the tank was 66 deg. All other behavior is normal. He does have a hide in the tank. During the day basking side is around 100 degrees and the cool side sits around 80 (I have two thermometers in the tank). When I take him out when I get home he's off like a shot running around. I'll take out the bowl tonight and keep an eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom