Possibly a Rankin?? Or First time owners lack of knowledge??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph4158

107515-4363827468.jpg
107515-6763567948.jpg

Hello everyone- it's been since March and I had already fell in love with my sweet "Crikey" at that point. I had been searching for info and found this site with the best info a new owner could ever want and more...He (def identification of 2 small lumps above vent) is the sweetest, smartest animal I know. He loves to bask most of the day if not only to venture down to eat, loves to bathe and loves for me to get him out of his tank and snuggles up to his mommy! He eats his greens and veggies every other day if not every morning and loves to hunt crickets....dusted and gut loaded :) almost daily until pretty recent and now he usually wants them 4-5 days a week. He is in a 30 gallon tank with basking temp consistently 98-105 with other side staying constant 80-83 only to drop to about 75 when lights are off at night...attempted to transfer him to a 50 gallon tank and he had no part in that. He pouted for 2 days (refused to eat at all) until I returned him to his 30 gallon and he immediately returned to his sweet, loving, hungry self. However, he is approx 7-8 months old and maybe 10 inches at most if that in size. I feel like maybe I'm doing him harm because of his size...but he looks so much like and has all the behavior traits associated with a Rankin. Is it possible that I have this rare dragon in my home in Knoxville, TN or is this wishful thinking and I need to get with the program quick and realize I'm hurting his growth somehow( tho up until I wrote this, i have been so confident that he is just as healthy as he seems this whole time and possibly be this sub-species which looks like him so much & his size is exactly that of a Rankin), not intentionally ever, but any observations about his appearance will be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am still learning every single day, but I will do absolutely anything I can to make sure that my little buddy is as healthy and happy as he always seems to be. Thanks so much. -Stephanie & Crikey

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Hard to tell from the pics, and I'm no expert... but Crikey looks like a very handsome P. Vitticeps to me... your standard Beardie. All the Rankins dragons I've seen have had a rounder, almost snub-nosed look to their faces. But maybe others will weigh in?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, looks like a small p.vitticeps [ central ] beardie. He looks healthy though. It is possible that he is younger than you think, if you got him in March he may have been only 3-4 weeks old and just 5 months old now. What + how much do you feed him ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The O.P. is measuring snout to tail tip. If it were S-V, the dragon would be in the 20" range and the owner would not be wondering if it's stunted or if it's a Rankin's., plus it would barely fit in a 30 gal. tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom