glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone! so i have a baby beardie who WOULD NOT stop glass surfing. He’s about 3 months old. The warm side of his tank is 90 degrees and the basking spot is 105. The cool side stays around 85. I have a 10.0 T8 reptisun UVB tube and his lights are on a 12 hour on 12 off schedule. He gets fed medium sized phoenix worms 3 times a day along with a mix of dandelion and collard greens and occasionally ill mix in some red bell pepper cause he seems to really like it. he poops regularly; soft white urates with soft stools usually twice a day. he has two trees in his tank that he can climb on; one on the warm spot under his basking light and one on the cooler side. He had a small rock to hide in and a fake plant behind it but he only hid inside of it one time. I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a desert background on three sides instead of one. i thought this would make the glass surfing stop incase he was seeing his reflection but it hasn’t. i put a bigger rock cave in there for him to find and hide in incase he was stressed because he didn’t know where to hide from the heat/hide from plain sight since he never went in the smaller one. however, since i put the new cave in, he’s had stress marks all over and waved a couple times at it. Should i take it out and put back the old one or just let him get used to this one being in there? i just really wanted him to be able to find a place to hide since i can’t find any other reason for him to be glass surfing but it is very frequent. if anyone has advice i’d appreciate it immensely!

It could just be from changes in his cage, him begging for food, or just him begging for attention. otherwise im not really sure why, i mean he sounds super healthy. I wouldn’t be too concerned and over time, he’ll probably calm down

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your T 8 is where in the tank? And is there a clear plastic cover over the bulb? If there is take it off and the fixture needs to be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor-- leave the decor piece alone and let him get used to it -- I am sure this is not why hes surfing -- could be he just wants out and I recommend not doing that till hes adjusted to his surroundings -- the arm waving is part of the mating season and means submission --- they will glass surf mine did it as well when that age -- he will eventually calm down -- get him used to you they need to learn to trust and beware of when holding them they will jump off of you w/ no warning - so always have your hand on their back when carrying them or sitting on you especially shoulders - we have had a lot of bad accidents w/ them flying off peoples shoulders or tables etc
Karrie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They say that glass surfing usually means they either want something that's on the outside of their enclosure, or else they want to get away from something on the inside, so it sounds to me like maybe he's unsure of the new hide and maybe thinks something else is in there, especially if he's waving at it. If so, he'll probably eventually figure out that it's safe. He'll probably calm down sooner or later like everyone else has said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom