BACK IN CAVE AFTER HOLDING?!

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

BACK IN CAVE AFTER HOLDING?!

Postby laneyeldridge » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am

My baby beardie (shes about 4 months old, 13 in long) goes in her cave after every time I get her out!:( I started out slow holding her and getting her out about a month after getting her. I’d hold her for just a few minutes to start and then would get her out for about 10 minutes every day for another month. She was fine then but when I get her out for longer and actually move away from her tank, when I put her back in she goes right to her cave. She’s totally calmed down when I get her out and she sits on my lap, leg, hands when I go sit with her. It’s just when I put her back. Is it because she’s not used to being out? Or could it be I’m we’ve been a different house for the past month? Is she okay doing this? How do I get her used to being out more without doing more harm?
UVA/UVB:
Zoo Med T5-H0 Terrarium Hood, 24”
Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 H0 Lamp, 24 watts
Basking:
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp, 150 watts
External Heat:
Power Reptile Heat Pad Under Tank Terrarium Warmer (large) (always on)
Thrive Ceramic Heat Emitter, 60 watts (used only at night when house is cooler)
On the cooler side the temp is consistent with being 80-83 degrees, where on the warmer lower side it's usually 87-90 degrees with the basking area being 100-105 degrees.
laneyeldridge
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: BACK IN CAVE AFTER HOLDING?!

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 pm

So you have moved since you got her? If so she's probably going thru relocation stress again-- you need to let her get used to her new surroundings -- the cave thing might be a security thing
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby WinFam01 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:18 pm

Ours actually does this periodically and I've been wondering about it. Ours usually just goes in for a few minutes, licks the inside of her cave, 😆 then turns around and comes back out.
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

Postby loljelloclowdz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:18 pm

She might be checking her cave to see if it’s actually her cave or not. Maybe she watches it all the time and wants to be sure everything is the way she left it.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion